1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

? About bear rug

Discussion in 'Lifesize Mammals' started by NateC, May 9, 2016.

1. NateC

NateC Member

I have a few bear rugs to do and have never done one. Will a regular sewing machine like my mother uses for quilt sew on the felt backing or will it have to be a bigger one life a leather shop would have. Thanks for any help!

2. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

I did a couple on my wife's heavy duty sewing machine and pretty much ruined it. I bought a heavy duty leather one and life is great. The heavier duty the better in my opinion.

3. Michelle_Nelson

Michelle_Nelson Bring on the Bears!

I started out using a regular sewing machine when I first started doing Bear Rugs. It was a royal pain in the anus. I use a Sailrite now and it is a tank. You will ruin a regular sewing machine. I have a lot of experience using both, as my mom was a seamstress and I learned to sew young.

If it were me I would mount the heads and send them to a Rugger and have them sewn. Or you can find someone who offers a quality Rugging Class that will teach you how to do everything from start to finish. It would be well worth the investment.

4. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

Research Mannikins has a DVD on bear rugs. It is pretty comprehensive. I learned a lot from it.