1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Is this statement about competitions true?

Discussion in 'The Taxidermy Industry' started by jim tucker, May 9, 2016.

1. JL

JL Taxidermist for 64 years

I have no problem with a Commercial Division included in our competitions. It's a way to get your work judged on the level that your customer gets and not the time consuming product that's entered in the regular competition. Customers don't use flashlights and mirrors when picking up their mounts and simply want a mount to be good looking and professionally constructed that will give a lifetime of memories. That's what you get by displaying your commercial work to be judged at that level. Just my opinion....JL

2. Taxiserv

Taxiserv James Newport

Imo we are all forgetting what the basis for taxidermy competition is. It is to improve the quality of our product therefore providing a higher quality product to the consumer which will inturn demand higher compensation. Judging from ten feet with no critique will not help you get better. The flashlight and detailed critique is to help us get better.

3. Harry Whitehead

Harry Whitehead I love to hunt Buffalos!!!!!

Every State that I have seen supporting a commercial division has it as a "free for all" as some of you are putting it. It is commercial work that is supposedly the quality that you are giving your customers. It CAN be an entry level division because you are getting judged at a much less critical level. So, If there is a competitor that is much more skilled entering in this division and then someone that is not as skilled then the less skilled competitor can LEARN what it takes to produce good quality commercial work. Remember, you are competing against what the judge deems as quality commercial work and not so much against the other competitors. I really don't see what is so difficult to understand here.

4. duxrus

duxrus Active Member

Just asking how different shows treat it. Cant learn if you dont ask questions...

5. Bill Yox

Bill Yox Well-Known Member

I dont know where the "free for all" term came from, but thats not how Id describe it.... Guys, its simple...you can mount a piece as accurate as you are able, and enter it in categories of beginner, youth, or professional. If you advance, theres also master and sometimes even a master of master depending on where you compete. These categories are evaluated with judges using an industry accepted scoresheet as a loose "standard" of sorts. Ribbons are awarded in a multiple ribbon manner, according to score. The motivation should be to improve ones knowledge and technigues, thus promoting ones self and the industry, as James suggested.

The commercial division is simply a catch all of sorts. Ive seen new members not sure how to compete, enter. Ive seen guys that didnt have time but wanted to be involved, grab a piece off the wall and enter. Ive seen guys borrow back their customers mount and enter it for marketing purposes and to please a good customer. Usually the mounts are clean, sound and attractive to view. Many commercial taxidermists do not replicate inner nostril details or get too detailed elsewhere that customers wouldnt ask for. So its viewed from a few feet away, and awarded a modest COMMERCIAL ribbon. Most judges I know will take a few minutes for those who approach them for a critique, but yes, its not as detailed as the other competitive categories. It helps initiate new members to competitions, and certainly helps state shows monetarily, and its a great marketing tool for those who recognize its value.

6. duxrus

duxrus Active Member

Thanks for the explination Bill