1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Missing some bones for coyote

Discussion in 'Skulls and Skeletons' started by klawfran3, May 10, 2016.

1. klawfran3

klawfran3 New Member

Hi there, I'm new to the forum and skeleton articulation/ taxidermy in general. I decided that my first project will be a coyote, as they are common (cheap) and large enough that I won't be frustrated by too many tiny bones. I've been sorting the bones and so far I can tell almost everything is there, save two sternabrae and part of the hyoid bone structure (I believe it's one of the stylo-hyal). I was wondering what I should do to replace/recreate these, since I would like my skeleton to be as good looking as possible. Would it be possible for me to take a small casting of one of the other sternebrae and the stylo-hyal in silicone and make a plaster version of them, or would that not work. Does anyone here have experience in recereating missing bones? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you all.
    EDIT
    Oh whoops, I apologize for putting this in the wrong section! If a moderator could move it to the proper one that would be great. Sorry!

2. Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf Well-Known Member

If you posted in the Skulls and Skeletons section you are in the right place. If you had the one from the opposite side, you could mold it and alter it by hand to match the missing one. Rather than plaster .. you might try molding the missing part in something like Skulpey. It will be easier to work with after casting and won't shatter like plaster. Someone on here might have a spare hanging around as well. I do not myself. The hyoid might be tougher and will probably have to be modeled by hand.

3. klawfran3

klawfran3 New Member

Alright that would be pretty simple. I actually have some sculpey laying around so I might try that out. Thanks for the suggestions!

And I was thinking this would need to be put in the beginner questions. Whoops.

4. lokireptiles

lokireptiles Member

Welcome to the forum!

You posted to the right area. I would follow Sea Wolf's advice, Skulpey or some sort of epoxy putty would work best the only thing I would like to add is creating a wire armature that you then lay your material over to create the bones for the hyoids would allow you to have a solid hyoid structure that you can then attach to the skull. And would help hold the shape while your Skulpey or Epoxy putty was curing.

5. klawfran3

klawfran3 New Member

Great idea, thank you!
    I was numbering the vertebrae when I noticed one of them had something in its spinal canal so I decided to grab a pair of pliers and see if I could dislodge whatever it was. Low and behold, one of the sternabrae was stuck in it! I don't see any others, but maybe something will turn up later on haha

When I start building the sternum and the hyoid structure, if I haven't found the others somewhere in the skeleton I'll be using your idea. Thank you!