1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Hide paste or not?

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by Whitetail906, May 13, 2016.

1. Whitetail906

Whitetail906 New Member

Just a quick question in regards to mounting a squirrel. Do most taxidermists use hide paste on them. I have seen videos and posts here and there, and some do and some don't. I've already tanned the squirrel, and have my form. Thanks for any suggestions.

2. I use hide paste on mine

3. MooseFriend

MooseFriend Just a moose from Canada, eh?

Can you use another type of glue? Like, maybe white glue or wood glue? I don't have access to hide paste, atm.

4. Duckslayr

Duckslayr Active Member

Latex calking

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. Whitetail906

Whitetail906 New Member

Thank you very much! I will give the caulk a try. I usually use dextrin paste and McKenzie hide paste on deer, but have never used caulk. But I will give it a try. I appreciate the feedback.

6. DDavis

DDavis Active Member

I use hide paste on mine

7. pir^2h

pir^2h Retrievers give you the bird

I tried the caulk once because I saw it on a instructional DVD. It worked and in a pinch I would use it again but I think you would be better off just buying the hide paste. But, to each their own. My two cents worth!

8. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

If you DP a squirrel, you must find out if your hide paste is DP compatible. I have done them with and without hide paste and the the main difference in the finished mount I have found is that one has hide paste under the skin and the other doesn't. Meaning I see no difference at all.

9. joeym

joeym Jeannette & Joey @ Dunn's Falls

I use hide paste only in the legs and on the face of small mammals. Derma-Grip is my hide paste of choice.

10. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

I'm with Joey here. Even the legs are sometimes questionable. On a small animal like that, I'll ask the question that Tommy Ray once asked me:"So where would the skin move to if you didn't use paste?" I use epoxy paste on the face so that I don't get drumming around the eyes and the lips don't pull out.

11. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

George, you put that question out here several years ago. That made me rethink hide paste on small critters. I do the same as you and use a two part hide paste on the head and that's about it. John David does the same thing. I think he's done a squirrel or two over the years.

12. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

LMAO Yep, at least a couple of weeks.

13. ortegageno

ortegageno Active Member

NM
    The only reason I use hide paste is so the darn skin slides on. Lol

14. No paste on squirrels, a little super glue gel in the lip slot, few pins around ears and eyes.