1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Phillip Charles killed in NZ crash

Discussion in 'The Taxidermy Industry' started by Kathy, May 13, 2016.

1. Kathy

Kathy Active Member

We received tragic news today. New Zealand taxidermist Phillip Charles was killed in a head-on collision. This is a photo of Phillip when he spoke at the 2015 World Show to welcome all the international guests in attendance. Phillip was a genuinely nice and happy person! We are so sad that we have lost our good friend.
    http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=11639027

Attached Files:

2. Kerby Ross

Kerby Ross KSU - Class of '83; U.S. Army - Infantry (83-92)

So sorry to hear .....

So sorry to hear this. He was a really nice guy.

Prayers to his family and friends.

:)

Kerby...

3. Bruce_Rittel

Bruce_Rittel Consultant Services

I have lost a truly good friend! I was fortunate enough to know both Phillip Charles and his wife Carly - and my trip with him in Australia and New Zealand was sincerely a "Trip of a Lifetime"! He was a Gentleman and extremely creative in his Taxidermy and Woodwork! What a terrible loss to the Taxidermy World! He will certainly be missed by all of us - and the many friends he had both in NZ and in the many countries he visited!

R.I.P. Phillip Charles - you will always be considered my Best Friend. Prayers for You and your Family

4. allis

allis Active Member

I was lucky to meet and befriend him at the world show. He had brought along a 'pocket possum' and gifted it to a lady in my crew. We all decided he was one of the kindness, most interesting people we'd ever met and we're looking forward to seeing him at the next show. One drunken evening at the show (me, not him) he told me of his current health issues but also how about he didn't care if he died tomorrow. He said he had an amazing life with friends all around the world and he would live every day to the fullest. His doctor had told him not to attend the 2015 world show because of the his health issues. Charles said it wasn't his job to tell him what to do and went anyway. He made such an impression on me for the very brief time I knew him.
    We corresponded via email over the past year and I was just remembering last night that I had to email him back. Charles wrote the most amazing- and loooooong (ha!) - emails. I guess I'll never get the chance to write him back, but instead will re-read his heart-felt messages to me.
    My condolences to all of those who knew him well over the years.
    RIP to a lovely human being and talented taxidermist.

5. Skywalker

Skywalker Well-Known Member

Every trip I took to NZ he would show up sooner or later. Just a lovely person. He got very sick and beat the odds. He was just tough. We'll all miss him very much.

6. creepers

creepers natural history preparator

Sad day indeed, you will be missed phillip, r

7. clewis

clewis New Member

Every once and a while a quiet humble person comes along and makes an indelible mark on your life. Phillip Charles was one of those people. I meet he and his wife Carly on a trip to NZ a few years ago. He made the trip extraordinary with his every present helpfulness and caring. There is little doubt that he will be missed. My sincerest condolences to his family. He is in a better place

8. This is horrible news. I am fortunate and honored to have known Phillip. I met him at the World show in 2013. Later that year I traveled to New Zealand with my family and was able to spend some time with Phillip and really get to know him .He drove hours just to meet us at the airport, welcome us to his country, and make sure we got on our next flight. Craig is so correct in saying that he was "one of those people". A very dear friend to my wife and I and grand-father like to our son. Kind hearted and caring. We will miss him very much. RIP Phillip

9. DL

DL Well-Known Member

Wow saw this wreck on the Internet news the other day.

10. Rick Krane

Rick Krane Fish Taxidermist/ Judge/ Sculptor/ Instructor

So sorry to hear this news. A great spokes person for the industry and a true gentleman! God Speed!

Rick Krane

11. Ken Edwards

Ken Edwards Taxidermy.Net Administrator Staff Member

Phillip was such a warm, generous man. This is a tragic loss to our community.

12. catman

catman Active Member

This is a tough one, what a great guy. Thoughts and prayers my friend.

13. EA

EA Well-Known Member

My condolences to family and friends.

14. finazducks

finazducks EJ is not the only one to have two Wasco Awards

This is horrible news. Phillip was a friendly and helpful man to all that knew him. He will be missed

15. Sorry to hear this news. He was a great guy.... God Speed Phillip.

16. zoebowhay

zoebowhay New Member

hey guys, im zoe.
    im Phillips granddaughter :)
    i miss him greatly and i know so many other people do too.
    he was gone too soon, but maybe it was for the best?
    i think its better that our memories with him are happy and that we remember him healthily.
    i think pop would have rather it be this way than us all having to watch him age and slowly fade.
    he was so lively and i know for a fact that he has left with a big smile on his face and he can still see us all.
    my pop wouldnt want any of us to be sad, although i guess we have to. he would want us all to laugh and tell stories about the good times we shared with him.
    sometimes i call his phone, half expecting him to pick up. but when he doesnt, listen to his voice mail and leave a message telling him everything i would if he were here to listen. its been 63 days and i miss him so much.
    thanks, zoe and phil :)

17. zoebowhay

zoebowhay New Member

hey guys, im zoe.
    im Phillips grandaughter :)
    i miss him greaty and i know so many other people do too.
    he was gone too soon, but maybe it was for the best?
    i think its better that our memories with him are happy and that we remember him healthily.
    i think pop would have rather it be his way than us all having to watch him age and slowly fade.
    he was so livley and i know for a fact that he has left with a big smile on his face and he can still see us all.
    my pop wouldnt want any of us to be sad, although i guess we have to. he would want us all to laugh and tell stories about the good times we shared with him.
    sometimes i still call his phone, half expecting him to pick up in his chirpy voice.
    when nobody answers, i listen to his voice mail and leave a message telling him all the exciting things ive done as f he were here to listen.
    its been 67 days and i miss him so much.
    thanks, zoe :)