1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Baby Bobcat

Discussion in 'Lifesize Mammals' started by Amy, May 16, 2016.

1. Amy

Amy Mammal artist

I've posted these photos on Facebook, but for those not involved in the Facebook world, I wanted to share with you my latest piece and some photos of it during the process. This has possibly become my favorite piece I've done so far, and I was blessed and honored to receive the Breakthrough award with this at the WV show this past weekend.

This is a 3 lb. baby bobcat I got from Marc (old60furs) and I decided to do a pose where he was clinging to a branch, having lost his balance and slipped off.

Some finished photos:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now here is how "baby bob" was created ...

The body and the back legs were carved, and the front legs were created using the actual bones, cleaned, dried and foamed over top of. The head was a simple skull cast.

The carcass tracing and the body, neck and back legs traced onto carving foam

[​IMG]

Pieces cut out and all the necessary tools

[​IMG]

I didn't spend a whole lot of time (clearly - lol!) when it came to this sculpture, but a quick sculpture in clay helped to me decide just how I wanted to arrange the legs ( I ended up reversing the back legs - but I mainly was trying to figure out if I wanted to place the front paws side by side, or if I wanted them to "loop" around the branch)

[​IMG]

Here I've got my body roughed in

[​IMG]

This is where it looks really cool. After cleaning and pickling the scapula and front leg bones, I wired and attached them to the body. After drying, I applied foam and carved to shape.

[​IMG]

The claws were left on the toe bones, so each one could be positioned as needed to get the proper tree grabbing effect.

[​IMG]

Toe bones were built up and strengthened with apoxie (Why the drawn on face you may ask? I dunno, it helps me visualize where it is looking !)

[​IMG]

And here is bob right before mounting, with clay work and dental acrylic septum in place

[​IMG]

Hope you enjoyed this as much as I enjoyed working on the little guy!!

Kitten likes this.
  2. rogerswildlife

rogerswildlife Rogers Wildlife Taxidermy Tommy Rogers

Absolutely amazing !! And congrats on winning the breakthrough award !!
    Tommy

3. nate

nate Active Member

Wow!! That is really amazing, Amy!! Excellent job! Thanks for sharing

4. DL

DL Well-Known Member

When are you going to start sculpting forms? You've got great talent.

5. AliciaG

AliciaG Museum taxidermist and exhibit preparator

Beautiful job Amy, congrats!

6. magicmick

magicmick magicmick

Amazing work thanks for posting.

7. catman

catman Active Member

Very cool.

8. Duckslayr

Duckslayr Active Member

Incredible work Amy! I'm curious about how you skinned the front toes, and how you reattached the toe skin when mounting? Very impressive!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. Museum Man

Museum Man Well-Known Member

beautiful job amy.....it has that confused baby look on its face......I once mounted a 10 wk. old montian lion that was my favorite thing I worked on in my life...again, a beautiful , great mount

10. Skywalker

Skywalker Well-Known Member

The expression is perfect! Excellent!

11. boarhunter67

boarhunter67 Well-Known Member

Great looking mount. I especially like how unique it is. Too many people only want mounts to always look aggressive and mean. Yours is the antithesis of that. Good job.

12. jakecs

jakecs Member

Very nice job Amy, that is awesome. And thank you for sharing to the non facebook people

13. Jon S

Jon S Well-Known Member

Posts like this renew my passion for taxidermy, which has been waning lately! Great out of the box thinking. I never thought to look you up on facebook, but I will.
    I am also wondering about how you got the skin on over the pre made toes and claws. Split each toe maybe?

14. Re-creationartist

Re-creationartist "tel me I can't, I'll show you I can"

Great piece Amy really well done, congratulations on the awards, nice to meet you! -Jeremy

15. KFLAH

KFLAH Active Member

Great piece Amy. Thanks for sharing and congrats on the award.

Kevin

16. DDavis

DDavis Active Member

outstanding

17. Trapper2016

Trapper2016 Thanks for this awesome forum!

Amazing Amy!

18. fltrn

fltrn Member

WOW !!! Amy you are a true artist. Fantastic work and congratulations on your award.

19. DL

DL Well-Known Member

This is about as good a sculpting job I could do. Hahaha

[​IMG]

20. magicmick

magicmick magicmick

Blue ribbon DL