1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Discolored Bighorn

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by Ozwalt, Jul 18, 2007.

1. Ozwalt

Ozwalt New Member

Ok bighorn guys. I need your advice. I've done a search, but found nothing that helps.

I'm mounting up a bighorn and noticed for the first time that there's a light line on the horns about the right level for a soaking line. I soaked the horns a bit when trying to pry them off, but I submerged them completely, so the line isn't my fault. My customer set the entire cape and head in a cooler of ice for the 2-day drive back from his hunt, so I'm guessing this is what I'm looking at -- not sure why I hadn't noticed it before.

My question: what do I do to make this line disappear?

Many thanks.

2. oneshot

oneshot Member

airbrush
    oneshot

3. Matt

Matt Active Member

I would mix a stain color to match, and try lightly rubbing it in and wiping off until the desired color is achieved.

4. Ozwalt

Ozwalt New Member

I appreciate the responses guys. My first impulse was to airbrush. I'm a bit shy about using stain, because the horns are so porous. I was hoping I'd hear from one of our Rocky Mountain brothers who do 100 bighorns a year who have developed some special technique for restoring horn color that I hadn't thought of.