1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

My first crappie, critique please

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by shawn9106, May 22, 2016.

1. shawn9106

shawn9106 New Member

I thought I'd try to learn another fish, so I bought a cheap blank to be the painting dummy on. I used the tutorial black crappie thread on here and tried my best to achieve it. I know the head is off but I'm looking for some critiques on what I could work on!
    [​IMG]

2. Steve.J

Steve.J Member

Did you use good reference pictures as you were painting? If you compare your paint job to something like this reference pic, then you pretty much have your answers as what you need to work on. Your head is very flat and lacks depth. Your body markings appear to be to skinny almost looks like drawn with a pencil. And your fin markings don't flow well. Study your reference and interpret what you see into your paint.

Attached Files:

3. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

Good critique Steve!

You should also post a female crappie picture not exhibiting sexual dimorphism IMHO (Darkening during spawning season).

4. shawn9106

shawn9106 New Member

I'll take it! I know the head looked off to me too and the marking were from charcoal so you were right. My airbrush isn't good for detail, I need to purchase one for that.

5. Clew

Clew Help a child, Build our future

York, SC
    Shawn
    Charcoal works great just need to soften it.
    Does not matter what you use, learn how to use it
    The tail looks to have masking fluid painted with one color a wiped clean,,,,
    Work those rays spots and try more color
    Your on your way brother
    Carl