1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

White sucker

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by Gwendolyn01, May 23, 2016.

1. So, after scowering the forum, I still can't seem to find much information... I have a client who has told me he has a 23"+ white sucker he will be bringing me for a skin mount. Other than the obvious, use good reference, can anyone give me any pointers on this species specifically?

2. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    I have never mounted a sucker but have mounted carp. I would cast the head and possibly the fins, other than that, just proceed as usual but I might also add a degreasing soak into the process as I do when I have worked on carp, just to be safe.

3. duxdog

duxdog Active Member

I wold mold it and do a reproduction cast if it was me

4. Thanks for the thoughts...I was guessing it will probably be along the same lines as a pike except not being able to buy a head so custom cast. I'll probably take a cast of the whole thing for my own education just because it's unusual, but this guy does want a skin mount.

5. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

The scales will be problematic too.

Sometimes you can't please everyone, and have to know what will only cause you a headache or too much time, and say no to a skin mount.

6. duxdog

duxdog Active Member

When somebody says they want a skin mount. I explain the molding process then show them a skin and a replica side by side and ask them to tell me which is which. Then they always say a replica is fine lol

7. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    Do you charge the same for both?

8. Do you charge the same for both?

I know I don't, nor do I have m any examples to show ...I'm still really new at the taxi part of things. I take my clients when the can get them and try not to turn them off by recommending something they turned down in the initial discussion. Now habitat, that's a completely different story ;)

9. duxdog

duxdog Active Member

I charge according to the job. Of course I have a minimun but many factors can change the costs. If I have one of my own molds or if I am going to use somebody else's, type of fish, if I am going to make a mold of theirs etc.

10. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    duxdog, I have not done a complete custom cast as of yet, so I cannot compare the difficulty or ease of doing it compared to a skin mount. I can say that I charge more for a replica than a skin mount, and that in itself deters some from a replica.

11. duxdog

duxdog Active Member

I understand.