1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Replacement for HIll Bros Hi-fib?

Discussion in 'Molding and Casting' started by John C, May 23, 2016.

1. Anyone know where I can buy a replacement?

Thanks

2. Ken 2

Ken 2 Member

JL said to use worm bedding at Wally World. I haven't tried it yet, but I did get 10 pounds of High Fibe from Research Manikins last week. It's about $85.00 for fifty pounds plus shipping.

3. fishmaster

fishmaster Well-Known Member

Comparing hi fibe to worm bedding is like comparing a corvair to a corvette. Hi fibe is no more. Research still had some available but most other sources I know of are out. Once it is gone it's gone. There is no other product that I'm aware of that is in the same wheel house.

4. JL

JL Taxidermist for 64 years

Fishmaster....I wasn't saying worm bedding was better or the same as HighFiber only that if you cant get Highfiber it will make a suitable replacement until something better comes along. Over the years we have seen many products developed that were better than the ones we were use to but sometimes we are forced to return to the old because we cant get the new. Like if you cant find the right foam bird body or fish body you can always wrap one from excelsior....if you have the skill.

5. It won't be long McKenzie will figure out a recipe I'm betting .

6. fishmaster

JL I didn't mean to offend by my comparison. It is sad times for fish molders. There is nothing else comparable to Hifibe that I'm aware of so worm bedding or paper pulp is the only other choice available. It's a poor second choice but it will have to work for those who don't have a supply of hi fibe stashed.

7. RTF

RTF Active Member

Vermiculite

8. topnotch

topnotch Member

i ordered the 50 lb bag from research

worst thing ive ever seen
    mix it up and it looks like undercooked browned hamburger
    wont even support a 14 inch crappie

i think i have discovered an alternative that may be much better than even the best hi-fibes ive ever used

ill bring some samples to my booth at the world show if i remember

World class Replicas

you guys can play around with it, let me know what you think

tyler

9. ljones

ljones 1994 wasco award winner

What the deal with hi fiber ? Did they just stop making it if what

10. fishmaster

Yes it's not made anymore by anybody.

11. 1fish2fish

1fish2fish Well-Known Member

Yikes! I've got 100lbs of the research stuff I haven't tried.

Anyone try kinetic sand?

12. Any opinions on fiber cil by trufit.