1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

IMPORTANT: How do I properly freeze a large chicken for Taxidermy?

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by Clinteastwoodsuglybrother, May 24, 2016.

1. Hey, I'm very interested in Taxidermy and plan on learning it soon. I don't know when, but I do know I want to mount one of my prize chickens. She's a Light Brahma Hen with fat feathered feet and a pea comb. I guess you can google image search it. Anyhow, she's about six now and I can't show her anymore. I feel she's going to keel over soon and I want to preserve her body for mounting. It's important to me to maintain her striking facial features and feathered feet.
    If anybody could tell me how to properly store her for freezing, I'd be grateful. I just want to be ready when she dies.
    PS, if anybody has photo demonstrations, that'd help too.

2. You really don't need any demonstrations, just put her in a garbage bag, tie it shut, and tuck her into the freezer. Just don't smush her. Good luck!

3. Will her feathers stay intact? I just want to make sure she's in mint condition when she's ready to be mounted.

4. Yes the feathers will be fine, make sure you get all the air out of the bag you freeze it in and maybe double bag it if your going to keep it in there awhile

5. Nancy C

Nancy C Well-Known Member

The feathers will be fine. Just FYI, chickens are one of the more difficult birds to mount, especially the big ones, and a Brahma would definitely fall into that category.

Wrapping her head and feet in soaking wet paper towels and then sealing in that water with plastic wrap BEFORE you bag her will help to protect those areas from freezer burn, but if you only have access to a frost-free freezer then she won't stay good for more than a year or two no matter what you do. The constant freeze/thaw cycle is murder on taxidermy specimens.

6. OH, okay. Thanks for letting me know. I actually have an old freezer from the 70s which isn't frost free. So, I think I'll be good there. Yeah, I figured such a big chicken would be a hassle, but I'd like to give it a try anyhow. Like I said, thanks for the feedback! I'll be sure to do that when she finally croaks, the old girl. :)

7. nelsondeerfarm

nelsondeerfarm me and THE BUCKMAN !!!

Everyone has some good freezer advice, but here is Another piece of advise for you, I highly recommend ( and I am sure many others would too) you practice on a less quality bird ( or several) before your nice specimen. Just to get a feel for everything.good luck, have fun with it!