1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Flying Mallard Mount

Discussion in 'Bird Taxidermy' started by pietime, Jul 18, 2007.

1. pietime

pietime New Member

I have a mount that has been in my family for at least a couple generations and I have now inherited it...I do not want it and have been informed I can not sell it, but believe I can donate it?...it has no toe cut off with a scar so I believe it to be a wild mallard, hate the thought of throwing it away or "burning it"...but unless I get some suggestions it will be disposed of 1 way or the other in a timely fashion...any thoughts?

2. You can gift it to any one or any thing.

3. pietime

pietime New Member

when you say gift it?...does that mean hand into hand transfer?...or is it legal to mail it across state lines as a gift to somebody?...I have no friends or acquaintances that are even remotely interested in it as a gift...if I had room for it in my new home I would keep it...but much smaller home does not allow sufficient wall space to keep it...

4. You can mail it and recover the shipping only. No moneies for the bird. Check with libraries, restaurants, butcher shops or museums. Someone in your area should want it unless it is ugly. lol

5. pietime

pietime New Member

[​IMG]

Hopefully it is not ugly enough to throw away...

6. BeckyBird

BeckyBird My Baby Bluebirds

Man, that guy is tough, lol!!

7. pietime

pietime New Member

if you were as old as he is, you'd be showing your age a little too...LOL! ...no offense, or did you mean tough as in a "tough" vintage fish lure..(a hard rare to find lure) LOL!....

8. As in UGLY

9. Becky P

Becky P One must believe the glass is half full.

You can probably find someone to give it to, but to me, his head looks like it was put on backwards.

10. Birds4life

Birds4life New Member

Is it me, or is the beak green.

11. rlbrown

rlbrown Member

toss it .............quick

12. mark11

mark11 now accepting new wholesale clients

A drake Mallard's bill can be green in color, I would be more concerened with what the white stuff is on the feet. Mark

13. pietime

pietime New Member

it's a white down feather, I guess I have become the laughing-stock of the taxidermy board...

14. Becky P

No, not at all, you are just un-informed as to what quality is. However, in it's day, it may have been considered good.

15. BeckyBird

BeckyBird My Baby Bluebirds

Sorry, we weren't making fun of you. You didn't do the mount, and as you said, it is very old. Nowadays, some mounts look so good you'd swear they were alive. When I first started practicing taxidermy, I used these old books. Now, when I look at the books, I laugh at the awful mounts. Just take a look at old fashioned deer heads, before the age of pre-made mannikins. Awful! I like looking back, and seeing how far taxidermists have come. Thank you for sharing the picture, and please know that we were just poking fun at the duck, but certainly not you:eek:)

16. Triple BB

Triple BB New Member

I like it. Looks like he was just starting to decoy and someone blasted him in the head. You've got down coming off and his bill turned green from the sudden shock. Ya baby! ;D

17. pietime

pietime New Member

No, not at all, you are just un-informed as to what quality is. However, in it's day, it may have been considered good.

you never heard me utter "quality" I thought maybe somebody wanted a free bird was all.....I've seen uglier things in nature, "poachers", "hunters without permits", "fishermen taking more than the legal limit"???

18. Becky P

No, you didn't. But why else would you've said...
    quote author=pietime link=topic=39943.msg234202#msg234202 date=1185072078]
    it's a white down feather, I guess I have become the laughing-stock of the taxidermy board...
    [/quote] ??? ???

We ain't mountin' poachers, although they should be hung. And I also don't consider those "people" you listed as "nature". Nature doesn't do that kind of crap, it only takes what it needs.

Forgive me for being nice. I doubt anyone on here would want a bird that looks like that when most could ( or should be able to) mount a better one.

19. pietime

pietime New Member

Appreciate the feedback from everybody...I have no hard feelings whatsoever....

20. Gscaup

Gscaup New Member

Take it to the forest.....give it a toss.......down in the gully.......over in the moss!