1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Cast lip/nose system

Discussion in 'Lifesize Mammals' started by phoenix-cry, May 25, 2016.

1. phoenix-cry

phoenix-cry Active Member

Has anyone used the cast lip/nose system by McKenzie and have an opinion on it? Thanks.

2. A bit pricey,, but they work great,, I just charge more to the client when I use them,,, use one and you won't go back to the old way

3. phoenix-cry

Thanks! The jaw looks amazingly detailed in the 'how to use' section.

4. Museum Man

Museum Man Well-Known Member

I had a customer that liked the mountain lion cast lip form....when I got it I hated the lips...I ground them down and used the original lips and finished the lip line in the mouth and was very happy with the finished mount....so, I liked the form and hated the cast lips....

5. phoenix-cry

How is the jaw detail? I was kinda hoping for good lips at the price.

6. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

The cast lip form from Headquarters supply beats the pants of off the McKenzie one for detail and realism. The McKenzie ones I did were OK, but in my opinion Headquarters has a lot more realistic detail and I like the actual head form better too.

7. phoenix-cry

Ah! I didn't know Headquarters had them. I'll check it out. Thanks.

8. Yes go with the mohr mouth cups that HQ carries. Ive used both and prefer them better.

9. Randy

Randy Huntin Chamios on Mount Cook, New Zealand

I dont like the artificial nose on the McKenzie cast system. It looks to "hard", meaning it does not have that soft plump nose look. I find it easier and more realistic to do the nose with the real skin and clay. Much better looking. As for the paint job on McKenzie, well it OK but not great. I do like the Headquarters cast jaw and lips a lot but the shape and angle of the nose looks a bit odd to me?

10. Tanglewood Taxidermy

One of the features I like about the Headquarters bear forms id that they come with a choice of artificial nose or real nose. Anyway they did when I was using them.

11. phoenix-cry

I've never used an artificial nose. What i was hoping for was a superior paint job, sounds like I should just get the paint out myself ;)

12. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Artificial or real, you gotta paint them.

13. phoenix-cry

The paint job I meant the teeth and jaw. :)

14. Tanglewood Taxidermy

They come pretty much detailed and realistic. I usually used a small amount of paint to darken them a bit, but you really don't have to.

15. Anyone know if any suppliers start making sets for wolves yet?

16. twinrivers

twinrivers Active Member

I use them on bears, elk, and boar OM mounts and like them. Huge time saver.