1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

3D eye reference head

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by swb, May 26, 2016.

1. swb

swb Member

Does anyone know where to find a 3D whitetail head with eyes and lids ? I see the Joe Meder in Mckenzie catalog but looking for others and I can't find them anywhere.Not looking for a 1/2 cast but the whole head with detail.
    Thanks,
    Shane

2. sealow

sealow Member

Rick Carter's Redi-Mount Heads would make a good reference.

http://www.mckenziesp.com/Redi-Mount-Heads-C5571.aspx

3. McKenzie sells one now that has an alert side and relaxed side casted by Tommy hall

4. verne

verne Well-Known Member

Why buy , freeze the real thing . :)

5. way to go

6. swb

swb Member

I would but I don't have one at the current time and they are heavier and kind of a pain to dig out of freezer and frost up.
    Just looking at something easier . I'm sure I will take heed and do that next time though ;)

7. Verne? Won't a REAL deer head eventually spoil with all this freezing and thawing when it's in and out over-and-over from the freezer to the work bench?

8. I have one of these that I bought used from a taxidermist on this forum.

One side of the reference cast has a 'normal' relaxed eye set. The other side has a 'aggressive' eye set.

This cast has antler butts and ear butts for reference as well too!

Attached Files:

9. The other side.

Attached Files:

10. And the top view!

Attached Files:

11. verne

verne Well-Known Member

Yes it will thaw, and has a short life . Some one on this site mentioned doing this a while back . :D

12. Paul B

Paul B Active Member

Real is good when you cape out and see where everything is, how muscles join and attach to and where. I freeze them for open mouth reference but for their outward appearance, too much shrinkage after a few days, even hours after death. That's a pretty good cast HA, nice starting point