1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Bondo Method for white-tail deer

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by Jerome78, May 27, 2016.

1. Jerome78

Jerome78 New Member

My dad is in the process of teaching taxidermy. The only problem with that is he went to school for it about 25-30 years ago and I'm sure some methods have changed over time. For example, he was taught, when mounting the ears, that you turn the ears completely and keep the cartilage connected to the cape. Then you turn the ears right side out, insert bondo, and insert an ear liner. After that, squeeze all of the bondo to the tip of the ear and let it set up. The only problem with that method is that, we have noticed over time, that the ears start to "drum" or separate. I was wondering if there was something that I was doing wrong or if somebody has a better solution. I prefer using earliners so if anybody has a method using those, it would be great if you shared them with me.

2. Gurneyjockey

Gurneyjockey Member

Lots of info on here if you do a search for it, there's a tutorial as well in that section

3. Gurneyjockey

Gurneyjockey Member

http://www.taxidermy.net/forum/index.php/topic,89728.0.html

4. KatieC

KatieC Active Member

Order this video, it covers the right way to do either earliners or bondo ears, along with everything else you need to know: http://www.mckenziesp.com/DVD270-P18430C3371.aspx

5. pir^2h

pir^2h Retrievers give you the bird

Jerome, I don't mean any disrespect to your father by my comments here. Your father is most likely set in his ways. There is a natural resistance to change and since that is the way he learned it, that is why he continues to use this method. Like everything else change is inevitable. Newer and better methods have developed over time and sometimes we need a serious kick in the pants to get it an honest shot.

Just yesterday I was at a seminar in North Carolina (hosted by Jim Allred Supply) given by Vincent Fleming. He specifically mentioned that for years and years he did the bondo method (without ear liners) but committed himself to do ten deer with earliners to try it out. He now removes the cartilage and said he would never go back to doing whitetails without liners again!

Best of luck to you whatever you decide. And by the way, that DVD listed above is great. I have it and it and out of all the whitetail deer videos I have, it is the best so far.

Vic