1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Jake neck length

Discussion in 'Bird Taxidermy' started by Tanglewood Taxidermy, May 27, 2016.

1. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

I went to the archives and I typed in jake neck length and got sorry were you looking for jakie neck length? I proceeded to type every way I could think of to get the neck length of a Rio jake with no results! ARRRRRG!

I killed a jake and wasn't going to do anything with it. I changed my mind, however, I have the skin, but I didn't keep the head or neck and I didn't measure it, thinking I wasn't going to use it.

I'm thinking it would be about 11" to 12". Is that about right?

2. 689

689 Well-Known Member

I had 2
    1 was a 23 w/ 11neck(allot of fat) and a 24/ 12.5neck
    I better add that i honestly dont know the diffetence between jakes and toms..:/...lol unless its only size..sorry.1 is posted in workbench.

3. Jim McNamara

Jim McNamara Well-Known Member

Those are real monster Jakes. Jakes have short beards and when the tail is fanned the middle feathers are longer then the rest . Spurs are real short too. Most I do are in the 15-18 lb. range.

4. Tanglewood Taxidermy

The Rios I kill that are three or older run 18 to 20 pounds. My largest was 20. It had a 9 3/4" beard, an 8" beard and only one 1 1/2" spur. This jake weighed about 10 pounds, had a 3" beard and 3/8 spurs.

5. 689

689 Well-Known Member

Oh..dang..then im no help..

6. Tanglewood Taxidermy

I took my grandson out turkey hunting this morning and he smoked a jake. 15 pounds 4" beard, tiny spurs and a 13" neck from the first movable vertebra to the atlas at the skull. So, I guess 13" is the number. This was a bigger jake so for mine I'll go a little smaller and shorter.

7. capnmike

capnmike New Member

Toms will be around 12" and jakes will be 10.5-11"

8. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Thanks. I went ahead and made it 11.5 and it was perfect.