1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Really Makenzie??? :(

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by s.iker, Jun 1, 2016.

1. s.iker

s.iker New Member

So im sure as many got the updates shipping of adding more money to the shipping rates on now smaller boxes... I understand that taxidermy isnt cheap, especially for start up and doing personal pieces to practice, but the shipping KILLS me!!! What can i do to relieve some of these costs, buying things in bulk yea, i get that, but if i just need one form or whatever.... I dont know...

I dont have a "taxidermy store" near me... but im wondering if theres something to an alternative or what?

2. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    Make your own forms and ear liners, there are various options of how you accomplish that, but the hard part is the eyes, you are likely to have to order those anyway.

3. Keith

Keith Well-Known Member

You are in Wisconsin, have it shipped Speedy Delivery. That is about as economical as it gets.

4. s.iker

s.iker New Member

Yea, i noticed they have a warehouse in wisco, but its still a pretty penny.. I thought about picking up if i need stuff, but thats a haul too.. First world problems.. sigh..

5. Swtchmob21

Swtchmob21 Active Member

Lucky for me McKenzie warehouse is just an hour away from me but I know for the most of you it is not that easy

6. BrianHendricks

BrianHendricks Member

Guess I'm not understanding how UPS charges are Mckenzies fault or any other supplier. Maybe a thank you is more in order to the companies that have built distribution centers across the country.

7. I just received an order from McK that included 5 deer forms and 25 lbs of mache. Plus some other small stuff. Shipped via Speedee from WI to MN for $19.95. How can you complain about that? Two giant boxes!

8. Amy

Amy Mammal artist

I thought there was already a thread going with this same exact subject.. and same exact title.

9. Kottejr

Kottejr Member

also in WI, almost always have what I ordered within a day or two at most after order was made, hard to beat that.

10. pir^2h

pir^2h Retrievers give you the bird

Nobody likes paying shipping charges but what else can you do? Drive and pick it up yourself? Is it feasible? I understand for a hobbyist it is a difficult pill to swallow (being that I am only a hobbyist myself) because you have no one to pass along the charges onto. You could go to your state show. I went to the NC show last year but before the show, I ordered a bunch of items and they were delivered to the show by McKenzie and Headquarters free of charge plus I got a discount to boot.

This Saturday is a seminar at Allred Supply in NC. Same thing, I ordered a cougar manikin from Research that they will deliver to NC FREE plus I ordered other items from Allred. No shipping charges. Investigate ways to get lower cost shipping.

Of course as 3bears said, "Make your own." Learn to wrap them or learn how to cast them. I suspect that after that you will most likely opt to pay the shipping in the future!

11. s.iker

s.iker New Member

its not the end of the world, but its just sucks.. ive a paid anywhere from 50-70 for shipping before... o_O DIY for the forms and such wouldnt be feezable right now, only cause im not doing enough.. would like to do that eventually maybe.. *shruggs

12. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    I see it as the opposite here. Only doing a few mounts allows you the time needed to become proficient at casting, carving or wrapping forms. Many of us don't have the time needed to perfect that often necessary skill. There is not a form for every size or even animal that we are asked to mount. Because I haven't had the time to devote to learning the skills needed to do it proficiently, when I do need to perform the task, it takes me longer to accomplish it and time is money.

13. You are completely clueless aren't you.
    No one would be upset if Mckenzie only charged what UPS charged them. Heck, most wouldn't even be upset if they charged the UPS published rates.
    The issue is that McKenzie not only charges way more then what UPS is charging them, they add up to 100% on top of that!
    On my account with UPS, I get 40% off the published UPS rates. I'm sure they get even more then that.
    So what upsets people is that they know they are being OVERCHARGED for a service.
    "just raise your price, it's part of doing business" some say. That's really looking out for your customers and costs.
    How about McKenzie stop overcharging everyone. Just charge everyone what UPS is charging them. Or is that too ethical? They would sure get a heck of a lot more business. They bought up a lot of their competitors just so they can get away with this kind of crap. Fortunately, they still have some competitors that don't overcharge their customers.

14. dwimberly

dwimberly Member

MS
    well it seems not everyone here is in the shipping business and everyone has their own opinion of the way things work and the way things should work. Fortunately for me I am in the transportation industry and just because you get one rate doesn't mean that every one gets that rate. McKenzie's rate are set though UPS based on volume as well as shipping lanes. Some lanes cost more than others and it all depends on where you live and what it takes to get the shipment there. To say they raise or add to their prices is merely an assumption. I agree with Brian on this one. Thanks to McKenzie for building DC's everywhere to make it more feasible. You say your not taking care of your customers if you include shipping in your mounting prices? I don't actually get that. Everyone here can sit here and complain about the prices of shipping and act like shipping masters and nothing will change, or, you can deal with the situation to the best of your ability, make up your cost wherever you see fit, or you can eat the cost "Take care of your customer". Either way you look at it, you're going to pay for it somehow and you're customer is going to pay for it as well. Sorry to say but it's the facts of life, it is the world we live in and we are just taxidermist that can't change the way oil prices, shipping prices work.

15. iowabowhunter

iowabowhunter Member

I ordered a small package of skife knife blades and a shed antler skull cap, cost of both was $20 and change. When i got the shipping email the shipping cost was almost $18. For a box that was under 2lbs. Kinda hurt the profit on that one

16. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

I purchased a turkey tail panel from a company for $15. The shipping was $18. How much did the turkey tail panel cost? $33. I told my customer that the cost of labor for doing the mount is X number of dollars plus the cost of the panel and shipping. That left a set price for the majority of it and open ended on that part of the total cost. All parts, labor and shipping was itemized. Customer was happy, I was happy, supply co. was happy and the shippers were happy. I don't really see a problem here.

If it was for myself, I would have thought, hmm, my panel cost $33. Who am I to tell a company what they can and can't charge for there services. I sure wouldn't want people telling me what I have to charge for my services to them.

17. Wow, some of you guys aren't the brightest bulb are you.
    So let me explain how we know how much more we are getting overcharged.
    When you receive your shipment, measure it and weigh it. Now go to the UPS shipping page and input all that info with McKenzies address as the shipper and your address as the destination. Now look at the cost and compare it with what you were charged.
    No it's NOT speculation on how much we are being overcharged. I can tell exactly to the penny how much more they are adding to every shipment. And that wouldn't include their discounted rate.
    UPS discounts it's shipping charges depending on how many items you ship, period. I know how little I ship and so I can only imagine what kind of discount they get.

18. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

So, what you are saying is, if you get a discount, you must pass that discount on to your customers? If you don't pass it on, and actually charge what you want, then you are overcharging your customer?

Do you figure your discount for volume purchasing into the price of your deer heads? Do you reduce your head mount price when you start getting bigger discounts? Do you cave to every customer who comes into your shop and says you charge too much? If so, which is what you are suggesting here, your prices might as well say deer head price: give me an offer and I'll take it.

19. D.Price

D.Price Well-Known Member

Thank God, someone finally said it !!!

DP

20. KatieC

KatieC Active Member

Don't forget what shipping costs a company on top of just the actual cost of shipping. Boxes, packing material, people to pack items, people to enter shipping info and print labels, tape, a place to do all of this, etc. At my day job making instrument strings, we have to pay someone just to do the shipping and it's very important that it's done right. You're paying for shipping and handling. Also, with my experience shipping through UPS, McKenzie gets a better rate than what I have to pay, so I don't see where you're getting that they are overcharging based on regular rates. They even sent me a shipping label for a return that UPS was charging a fortune for, so that I could get their lower rate. Great customer service in my opinion.