1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Stuck on colouring antler repairs

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by Rgvmelb, Jun 4, 2016.

1. Rgvmelb

Rgvmelb Member

As the title suggests, I'm having trouble with colouring my antler repair. I've watched a couple of videos, read every single post on here and tried stains, potassium, water based and oil based paints! So it's come to having to ask sorry.

At this stage I have raw and burnt umber oil based paints and have been thinning them down with turpentine. This is as close as I can get atm after trying every combination of raw/burnt/turps I can. It's still not dry yet (5 mins old) but I'm after any help I can atm please. Not sure if I should be mixing another colour in or even using another colour. Please help!

Thanks.

2. Rgvmelb

Rgvmelb Member

Re: Stuck on colouring antler repairs

I can't get my file small enought to post up a picture! Any ideas how I can do this too please? Thanks.

3. Did you check out Cole's tutorial on antler repair? You need more colors that what you are using.

4. Rgvmelb

Rgvmelb Member

I've looked at so many it's all a blur now. This is a sambar too so they're a bit darker than most of the white tails on here.

5. George1419

George1419 New Member

Tn.
    Follow Cole Cruickshank instructions on antler repair in the tutorial section, it works better than anything I've tried, it takes about 4 or 5 different colors to get it right and you can go as dark as you want to.

6. Rgvmelb

Rgvmelb Member

Thanks fellas. I'll have another look. I've given it a couple of goes with PP today so we'll see how that pans out too.

7. Try thinning with lacquer thinner

8. WildArt2013

WildArt2013 New Member

I use a mixture of oils and oil pastels and use my fingers

9. bhymel

bhymel Member

Don't forget good old fashon dirt, rub it in .

10. Paul B

Paul B Active Member

I've been using minn wax wood stains with pretty good luck on deer. Oak for lighter look or walnut for darker. Blend repair area with an off white/yellow brown mix to get the lightest tip color.

11. ljones

ljones 1994 wasco award winner

You haven't said if you have done this or not .. But you need to air brush over your repair and fade this color out into the real antler with lacquer paint that is the same base color as the as the real antler .... Do this before you ever try To color the repair and you will have better luck

12. Cole

Cole Amateur Taxidermist

Surely he has it painted by now, it's been 3 months. Haha

13. Rgvmelb

Rgvmelb Member

I forgot all about this sorry. I couldn't get it close to save myself! I tried everything I could get my hands on. In the end after so much work, I used potassium permanganate and just built it up until it wss close enough. I had to go over the other side to match the two together.

Thanks again for everyone's help.