1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Fish head rebuild pics!

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by nokes, Jun 5, 2016.

1. nokes

nokes New Member

Thought it might be interesting to see pictures of rebuilt skin mount heads before paint. Like to see what extent everyone goes to when rebuilding the anatomy.[​IMG][​IMG]

2. naturalcreati40

naturalcreati40 Active Member

Looks like a great job to me

3. duxdog

duxdog Active Member

Great job. I usually just mold the heads.

4. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

I extend the apoxy on to the branchiostegal rays.

5. Jon S

Jon S Well-Known Member

Epoxy work is great. I also like the nice flat cheeks - with no epoxy. I always have to add some epoxy to the cheek somewhere, I always get a little shrinkage. I can't for the life of me seem to get those cheeks right.

6. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

Perhaps your filler is too wet and or has air in it? I overfill and then push out the excess.

7. Jon S

Jon S Well-Known Member

Thanks, probably a little of each.

8. den007

den007 Active Member

Masterful job! I don't usually take that much effort, and just feather a bit into the deep creases. Impressive!

9. FishArt

FishArt Well-Known Member

Ditto on what Cecil stated here. Question, are you using epoxies to fill the cheeks vs. mache'? (That would explain the voids because epoxies aren't the best materials or should I say they aren't the easiest materials to work with for this application)...

10. nokes

nokes New Member

I use mache,. Used to have problems when I mixed it to loose. Make sure it's firm but smooth. Have to baby sit it a little bit. Over fill and push out the excess like Cecil said.

11. FishArt

Yeah, if you mix it with too much water it won't work as well - lol! As far as babysitting goes, I have no clue what you're talking about? Perhaps it;s your mache'? I use Jim Hall's mache' and once I fill the cheeks and squeeze out the excess, it's done. No babysitting...

12. nokes

nokes New Member

I like to keep an eye on it until the mache sets. Even mixed firmly it can sag. Would rather be sure than just walk away

13. FishArt

Hmmm, you might want to try a different mache' or go a little thicker because I even slow down the set-up process with some vinegar added to my mache', and I have never witnessed any sagging whatsoever with Jim Hall mache' when mixed properly. Heck, without vinegar it starts setting up in a few minutes. Hard as a rock in a half hour....

14. Beautiful walleye. What eyes did you use? Those look great, I'd like to try them.

I'm in awe of a lot of the work on here. I'm technically not a beginner but am maybe a novice at best. I'm a hobby guy these days just starting to get back into fish. I finished my first fish mount I've done in six years and had a lot of fun doing it. This one is my second.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

15. nokes

nokes New Member

I have started painting my own eyes. Still a work in progress. I just don't like the commercial walleye eyes that are available