1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Some people are real idiots

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by Cecil, Jun 5, 2016.

1. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

Recently I repainted a horrid musky mount and yellow perch done by some taxidermist in nearby Ohio. Not only was the paint job very poor, but even with a commercial mannikin, the taxidermist managed to screw up the anatomy. I don't know who the taxidermist was and don't care, and that is not the point of my post. I don't go around putting down taxidermists and I have no need to. For all I know it was a beginner and we all had to start somewhere.

Anyway it's a repeat customer in Ohio that brought me the mount that wanted me to do the best I could repairing things and repainting it for sentimental reasons. I repainted the musky based on an Internet photo he and his wife felt it was closest to. Did the best I could with the anatomy but you know how that goes. To save him a 2 hour round trip to my studio I dropped it back off at a pick up drop off point that he has dropped off fish for me to mount that is close to the Ohio line.

O.K. the point: The fish was in a closed room where the bait an tackle store does their pricing etc. The owner finds some guy snooping around in the room and he the goes off on the musky. Says it's the worst musky he's ever seen blah, blah, blah. The guy won't shut his trap and she came really close to telling him to leave and not come back.

My guess is he's also a taxidermist as for some reason our profession is full of jealous people that look for ways to put down their competition. I'm sure now he's telling everyone he knows what terrible work I do. ::)

Why do we have such a lack of professionalism in our ranks?

2. EA

EA Well-Known Member

People who do that are insecure. They have come to realize, they suck, the wife is always dating someone and there isn't anybody out there recommending them to others. The only way to promote themselves is by tearing another down.
    The best in most professions let their work speak for itself. 'Cept for Ali. He had to tell everyone he was the best. ::)
    Most know their work stands on its own and they charge accordingly.

I bet you the phrase "I can do better for 1/2 the price" came out of his mouth...If he was truly better and had to say something, it would have been "I can do better, but it will cost you"

3. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

Thanks for your response EA. Much appreciated.

I should paint up another musky replica like this and put it up in the store but I don't want to fork over $300.00 for a blank right now.
    [​IMG]

4. x2 EA ....pretty much nailed it!

5. Maineiac36

Maineiac36 Active Member

It all boils down to ego. this industry is solid full of it.

6. FishArt

FishArt Well-Known Member

This is one of the reasons why I only take on local restoration work. I want to be able to CLEARLY state all up front expectations AND be able to defend myself IF something does comes back. In your case IF you would have been there to defend yourself I'm sure the other taxi would have agreed. I wouldn't blame the taxi because you and I probably would have done the same thing not knowing the circumstances. I do a lot of resto work. Probably 25-30 jobs a year on average. And have only had a handful of out of state requests to do resto work. I turn them down and offer somebody else if there is a quality fish guy in their area. It's not worth the headaches for only a few jobs. But, then again we're both getting to that point in our fish careers where we can be pretty picky about the work we take in! I don't want anymore than 50-60 fish a year now!

7. 1fish2fish

1fish2fish Well-Known Member

This starts with a taxidermist criticizing another taxidermist and ends with taxidermists criticizing taxidermists, for being critical of taxidermists. Yikes!

8. ausfish

ausfish Member

I have had another taxidermist go into a tackle shop where I have some displays and he bags the hell out of my mounts to the people who work in the shop a few times and try's to get his work in there it only push's me to be the best I can and keep learning and improving on every mount I do. So he is doing me a favour and the people working in the shop will not take his mounts because of attitude. LOL . cheers Des.

9. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

That's the attitude Des!