1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Tahr hair

Discussion in 'Lifesize Mammals' started by Taximan2016, Jun 6, 2016.

1. Taximan2016

Taximan2016 Member

Is there a good way to get the mane hair to stand up on a tahr?

2. Glass eye

Glass eye Active Member

Gravity

3. *

* Liberalism IS A MENTAL ILLNESS !

Kinda like this....[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. porterfield

porterfield Member

Yes, like that Dennis, Would you like to explain how you did that?

5. ortegageno

ortegageno Active Member

NM
    Maybe the trick is Aqua Net hair spray like the 80' hair nation metal bands used to wear . Lol miss those days.

6. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

The only "trick" I ever discovered was the form underneath it. Most of the forms out there are simply incorrect. A tahr has a narrow neck at the base of the skull but it hourglasses past that point. Don Holt used to have a form he sold through Van Dykes but I have no idea where that went. I think the guys over in New Zealand had forms, but as for us locals, you're going to have to alter the form to fit the anatomy.

7. Skywalker

Skywalker Well-Known Member

George is correct. It has everything to do with the proper anatomy of the head/neck junction. Since Tahr hide is so thick there tends to be a lot of "let out" once the tannery is done shaving it. This means that the hide usually gets pulled too far back which give the hair a "flat" appearance. Otherwise the hide is pulled forward burying the horn tips in mane. Oversizing the[ mastoid?] muscles behind the neck is necessary to initiate the heart shape of the mane. This early season Tahr is less of an issue than a later season Billy like the splendid specimen that Dennis showed us. If you find the hide in the junction area quite loose, then you will have some problems. 8)

Attached Files:

8. NMJagdHunter

NMJagdHunter Ted Wenner

Good thread thanks for putting up your answers everyone. anybody have form no hide pics, i mean if you are willing to give up all the secrets lol.