1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Deodorizing

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by Meludox, Jun 10, 2016.

1. Meludox

Meludox New Member

I picked up some (relatively clean) roadkill yesterday, a raccoon with no trauma other than a slightly crushed skull, that smelled a bit unpleasant. He went into the freezer and now almost a day later my freezer is smelling odd. I have looked in deodorizers on Van Dyke's site, but most of them are applied to hides after tanning or something like that. Are there any that I can apply directly to an animal before or during work?

2. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

What do you do if you are all stinky smelly and dirty? Take a bath/shower with soap and shampoo?

3. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    What do you plan to do with it? If you plan to mount it, I'm betting it is already toast. Throw it away and buy a fresh one.

4. Meludox

Meludox New Member

Would stop-rot help it at all after skinning?

5. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    Stop Rot is an amazing product and I have been able to save some questionable skins before. If this critter stunk when you put it in the freezer and then stunk up your freezer it was likely bad already. Critters begin to decay as soon as the blood stops pumping. Raccoons are pretty common so save yourself some trouble and get a fresh one. You may even live in a state where it is illegal to pick up road kill without obtaining a permit prior to, such as MN.

6. Meludox

Meludox New Member

I've gone ahead and dumped him. Hope that he becomes a nice meal for something else.