1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Attaching a pedestal mount fish

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by Lance.G, Jun 12, 2016.

1. Lance.G

Lance.G Active Member

I am new to the site and new to taxidermy. I am currently painting a replica smallmouth bass for a competition next year. Could anyone explain to me the best way to attach a replica from the stomach area to driftwood or artificial rock table pedestal? Is the fish simply glued or is there a rod used for support?

Thanks

2. Jimmy Lawrence

Jimmy Lawrence Well-Known Member

Square stock is probably the most common. There is a solid metal rod that is square. I like to attach that end to my base. Then I apoxy or bondo the female tube end into the fish. Or vise versa I guess . Doesn't really matter. But they key into each other and make for a nice secure fit.

3. I like to use square tubing.

4. Lance.G

Lance.G Active Member

Thanks guys!

5. Square is fine and works. Call your local high quality steel retailer, you can find some odds and ends for almost nothing and 301 or 404 stainless Some a weak and brittle some are really great.

6. Steve.J

Steve.J Member

http://www.taxidermy.net/forum/index.php?topic=378911

This is a link to a thread that discusses attachments of fish onto bases.

7. Lance.G

Lance.G Active Member

Thanks again, that is very helpful!

8. FishArt

FishArt Well-Known Member

To add what others have stated, for pedestal mount replicas I'll use the square stock as mentioned, but it may even just be a square wooden dowel. I prefer the male piece to go into the belly area and all the way to the top of the inside of the fish until it hits so the replica is supported not by surface to surface attachement but the length of the square stock. I'll first pour some thinned bondo in there though and tip the fish til the bondo gets to the area. Then I'll add some bondo to the tip of the square/dowel and insert. The square stock obviously keeps it from spinning. And sometime's I'll drill another adjacent hole and do another thinned bondo pour on bigger fish to make sure. At this point I may or may not use a female piece to insert it into. More often than not I'll simply drill a hole into a piece of driftwood and insert the male portion (hanging out of the replica) into this (tight) hole and hot glue, bondo and/or epoxy down the hole (again depending on the weight/size and my mood!) A square rod is not going to turn in that hole so the F/M piece is really not needed. K.I.S.S. theory. Just the way I do it...