1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

NTA Show

Discussion in 'The Taxidermy Industry' started by Kim Owens, Jun 12, 2016.

1. Kim Owens

Kim Owens Are we there yet?

I learned another lesson this weekend. No matter how old you get, if you say 'never' it is guaranteed to happen. 1st Never- I will never pay dues to the NTA again. 2nd Never- I will never judge another NTA show. 3rd Never- I will never attend another NTA show. I'm a 3 times WINNER! I agreed to do all of the 3 after our friend, Fred Vanderburgh, asked me to consider judging the 2016 show. After the events of the past several years, this was a very difficult decision for me to make. I am glad Kim and I went to the show. It was a very wonderful and well-planned event and the current board and the PA Association did a great job of making everything run smoothly. It was well attended and the mounts were actually the best I have ever had the honor of judging. Is the NTA back? I think so. It may take a year or so to build the membership numbers back up, but I think they will eventually. Transparency was at every turn and Michelle Burkholder has the respect of the all the board members and members themselves. If you are contemplating coming back- give it strong consideration, I think you'll be happy you did. And, because I love this industry and I am a founding father of the UTA- join them as well. There is room for 2 organizations when their missions statements are for the growth and betterment of our industry. Thank you NTA- it was a fun time!

Danny Owens

2. Kerby Ross

Kerby Ross KSU - Class of '83; U.S. Army - Infantry (83-92)

Next year .....

I am planning on going next year if Salt Lake City is the location.

Glad you had a good experience.

:)

Kerby...

3. Thank you Danny for all the kind words. It was my pleasure to get the chance to get to know you and Kim. You did a wonderful job judging and your kind gesture w/ Jodi was amazing. So thank you so much for agreeing to be part of it all!

4. I attended the show this past weekend and what an experience it was. That was my first time ever competing at nationals and I can't wait to go again. I don't know if I will be able to make it to the show in Salt lake next year as it is a 2 day drive for me but when it comes back to my neck of the woods I will be there for sure. My family and I made a vacation out of it and a great time was had by all. Thank you Michelle and all the others that were involved for putting together a great show.

5. michael p.

michael p. Getting better with age :)

Glad it was a great show!!! Congrats!!

6. PA

PA Well-Known Member

It was a surprisingly well run show but then the only ones I had to compare it with was 1993 in Richmond Virginia which had some real problems and the Pittsburgh Show in 1989 in an area of Station Square under construction. Michelle, Harry, Tim, and Fred did a bang-up job and seeing Russell Knight in person was worth the admission. My wife enjoyed every time he said "150 cash dollars" in his Alaskan-southern drawl.

The PTA was a significant help at the event also. Dan and Becky Snyder were convention organizers for the NTA, and the PTA supplied the backboards and security at the entrances. Matt Zimmerman and perhaps others helped with seminar organization and helped me get a computer for my PowerPoint program for my wife's flash drive.

7. bnoody

bnoody Member

It was a very well run show and a great atmosphere. All of the board members deserve kudos for a job well done. looking forward to this organization continuing to grow and add members.

Michelle, special thanks to you for your hard work. I know there were many involved, but I saw first hand how hard you worked to pull off a successful show, thanks!

8. ryan rhodes

ryan rhodes Active Member

This was my first NTA show experience and I have nothing negative to say about it! In the past, I was fairly adamant about not supporting the NTA because of all the crap... I was convinced to try it and glad I did. I didn't hear anything bad from anyone, no gripes. The work was tremendous, the venue was tremendous, the food was tremendous! All around great time and I met several new friends who weren't afraid to share "secrets"! Salt lake is a bit of a stretch for me next year, but I will be back!!! Thanks to everyone who put on the show...

9. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

May as well put in my two cents. I've been a member(and there was a bunch of crap once started over this) of the NTA since the mid 70's (regardless of what Greg Crain said) and I've seen it go from good to bad. I know where all the bodies were buried and where most of the skeletons are hidden. Still, it was the NTA and the NTA alone that made this and all the other sites that share information possible. I've had bittersweet memories of many things along the way and have been "cautious" of fully entrusting the future to he rebuilding process.

OK, so here it is. Make no doubts about it, THIS NTA SHOW was the most professional and the very best, well run show I've ever seen. Regardless of the personal issues and history some of us may have had, it was such a delight to walk into a pleasant and happy atmosphere I found at this show. There were few if any coffee klatches going on and even those were loosely knit and reached out to others as they passed. It's no secret that Danny and Kim and I have had our contentious moments, but they'll tell you, we greeted each other with genuine smiles and we hugged as a fact that we were moving forward and just relished the occasion of being together again. (You two have no idea how much that meant to me. Love you both for having done it.) For the first time in my memory, I never saw a board member just standing around. I tried to speak to most of them and many times I had to wait until they could spare a free moment to chat for a second or two. The PA Association and especially Dan and Becky Snyder greased the wheels to insure it was one of the best. Registration was a jewel. Harry and Tim were working when I came through and even through the banter, both men were meticulous in insuring documentation was proper, receipts were given and computers updated. Though I saw the stress in Michelle's face as she worked tirelessly to keep things in order, she never showed it outwardly and was always gracious and outgoing to everyone she met. I looked at the competition with a very critical eye and made mental notes on certain pieces. I guess I was pretty close because the judging was spot on and the awards reflected they'd observed the same things I saw. Fred and Russell were their debonair selves and ran the awards presentations flawlessly. I had to chuckle at Dave Blank. In all the years I've known him, I've never seen anyone who did all the dirty work so well. The couple times I saw him, he looked tired and you could see he'd been into the heavy work, but he never lost his smile.

I saw only two things worthy of regrets: the supply area could have used a few more suppliers and the competition area should have had a few more competitors. For all of you who wanted to wait and see, you missed a golden opportunity to get in on the ground floor. Next year it will be in Utah and you guys who've felt cheated all these years about the show not coming close have no excuse. I do hope you'll support the show and see how the new NTA is beginning to look strikingly like the original NTA. Great job NTA.

10. Skywalker

Skywalker Well-Known Member

Sounds like it was a great time George. Direct flights from Edmonton to Utah.

11. antlerman

antlerman NTA Life Member #0118

Thank You Danny and Kim for taking a chance on us.

12. Jer

Jer Member

It was my first NTA show...I didnt see any signs of the dysfunction I have read about in the past. The show was professional, even classy. Great judges, seminars, suppliers, etc. The quality of the work was outstanding. I made some new friends and had a ball, great weekend! I'll be back....