1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Cary Cochran and Fred Vanderburgh

Discussion in 'The Taxidermy Industry' started by antlerman, Jun 15, 2016.

1. antlerman

antlerman NTA Life Member #0118

This story must be shared. Both of these men are too classy to ever tell the story themselves, so I will.

A couple of months ago at the Ohio Taxidermy Convention, the Ohio Association held a benefit auction to help pay some of the hospital bills for Cary's son Ben who later passed away. The item that was being auctioned off was the framed medallions that Cary Cochran has produced over the years for the Ohio Taxidermy Association and is recognized as Ohio's top honor if you receive one of these medallions. They are cherished amongst the Ohio competitors. So Cary put his personal collection of these medallions up for auction to help raise money for his son's hospital bills. NTA President Michelle Burkholder was in attendance, and she knew what she had to do. She called Fred Vanderburgh and told him about what was taking place. Fred without hesitation gave Michelle the nod to buy the medallions at whatever cost on his behalf. Fred had but one thing in mind and that was to help his friend. Evidently several others may have had the same intentions in mind as the bid rose higher and higher, but in the end it was Fred who bought the medallions. At the NTA banquet last Saturday night, Fred made a presentation in which he gave Cary back his cherished medallions. Perhaps most did not know the magnitude of what was taking place as there was no fanfare, but those of us who knew what was happening fought to hold back the tears. We can't bring Ben back, but perhaps we can share our love and sympathy with Cary and his family. A salute also to Fred and Denise Vanderburgh for your kind and generous act and your hearts of gold. You both are a class act. May God Bless you and May God bring comfort to the Cochran Family.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. EA

EA Well-Known Member

Thats good stuff. God Bless

Just to put a name with a face, which is whom ?

3. Kerby Ross

Kerby Ross KSU - Class of '83; U.S. Army - Infantry (83-92)

KUDOS

Kudos to the NTA.

:)

Kerby...

4. antlerman

antlerman NTA Life Member #0118

Mike, Cary is the white headed guy with the white mustache. Fred is the other white headed guy with the white mustache. Cary on the left, Fred on the right.

5. Fred & Denise are very special people. Great job to the NTA for doing this.

Gregg

6. txoutdoors

txoutdoors Active Member

That's a classy move and a great story. Great job Fred!

7. Bill Yox

Bill Yox Well-Known Member

Cary Cochran is why so many of us understand whitetails. I respect his efforts and talents as the best. Fred Vanderburgh has a New York manner...and a HUGE HEART. This doesnt surprise me in the least. I am very proud to hear about this.

8. tomdes

tomdes Me my dear and Fall BAZZ!!!

That's a very classy, feel good story. Thanks for posting it..

9. finazducks

finazducks EJ is not the only one to have two Wasco Awards

This story warms My heart and I know both of these gentlemen. Both are Class acts and of the utmost integrity. I'm proud to call both of them friend. Carey I feel your pain and your loss. I wish there was something I could do, but the loss of a child is more than most can handle. I don't know if I could survive it. God Bless Carey and thank You Fred.

10. MR. Brad

MR. Brad Member

Both are A-1, class acts! Great men!!

11. God bless them both. A great story.