1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

First fish - Northern Pike

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by Flintlock, Jun 16, 2016.

1. Flintlock

Flintlock New Member

I am prob jumping the gun since I haven't gotten the materials yet that I just ordered (Newby yes sir!), but I am gonna try to mount my first game, which is a nice pike I caught last week up north. I have always admired a good fish mount and figure this one will kick the tar out of me, but I can't wait to thaw it and start scraping. I have been reading up on how-to on here and may have to hang it in a dark corner if it looks like a gar at the circus. :)

I'll post the pics in here, which may be comical to say the least. I am already getting butterflies and can't wait!!

Gotta mount this baby since she was worn down after 20min on 6lb test! My knees are still knocking....

[​IMG]

Looking forward to it and this forum.
    Wess

2. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    Nice fish, I recommend leaving it in the freezer for a while and go catch some smaller snot rockets and practice away. In most locations they are easy to come by and not a big loss when they look like crap. Remember big pike are greasy and prone to grease bleed if not cleaned and prepped correctly. If by some fluke of nature, you are a natural at mounting fish correctly, it would really suck to have it leaking grease after a couple months on the wall.

3. Flintlock

Flintlock New Member

Thanks for the reply and the advice 3bears. I hunt w/a flintlock cause I run off half-cocked most of the time and this is probably one of those times. I'll see what I can do to get a few dinks.

Wess

4. Start smaller. you need small fosh to start on, there is a ton of learning. Get some bass of you can start with those.

Get the Rick Krane video and watch it several times.

5. den007

den007 Active Member

What a melon for a head on that beast! You might want to see if Lake Country replicas might want it for a casting. You might get a freebie for that and the body back if all goes well. That is truly an ambitious task for a first time. The head will not doubt cause you Post Truamatic Stress. Follow the advice………start smaller. That fish is a challenge for the best of us. Don't screw it up.

6. Flintlock

Flintlock New Member

JohnC and Den007,

Gents,
    Thanks for the feedback and as much as I want to start on this ASAP, I will take your guy's advice and start w something else. I appreciate your guidance and experience.

I will see if I can get a 16-18" walleye this afternoon! No pike for hours where I am. Maybe I can put the walleye in the final mount as bait.

Thanks!
    Wess

7. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

I'm not sure you could have picked a worse fresh water fish to mount other than its smaller cousin, the chain pickerel or the crappie.

8. Flintlock

Flintlock New Member

George,
    This may cure me on mounting fish. :)

It may kill me but you gotta die of something!
    Wess

9. jim tucker

jim tucker Active Member

Nice Fish

You are going to ruin that fish. Seriously. If you care about it AT ALL do at LEAST one other PIKE. Even better I would suggest doing a walleye/saugeye/sauger first, then a smaller pike....THEN MAYBE you might pull that one off half assed.

Now if you don't car about it, have at it but it's a shame IMO.

10. Flintlock

Flintlock New Member

Jim,
    Gonna try to get a walleye this eve and a pike in early Aug to try first.

Wess

11. I like the enthusiasm Wess! Where are you out of?

Obviously "Up North" isn't distinctively a MN thing but it is common lingo where I hail from...if you're in the Twin Cities drop me a line and I'll be more than happy to spend five minutes showing you everything I know. It won't send you down the path to a world championship but it might be enough to stop you from cringing every time you look at what was once your prized trophy pike.

Otherwise I agree with the afformentioned suggestions from others; start on a 18"-20" walleye, 14"-16" bass, etc., get a video (or five), and work up to doing the pike if you want to give yourself a shot at it turning out halfway decent.

Good luck and have fun! There will be a lot of times where it's going to suck and your frustration level will be through the roof but that's part of it, don't get discouraged. The end product is rewarding...especially early on, even if it's more or less junk, it's still exciting.

12. nate

nate Active Member

Well said Matt!! I second it!

13. Flintlock

Flintlock New Member

Matt,
    I am in southern Ohio else I'd stop over, and do appreciate the post.

I did put an 18" walleye in the freezer on Friday eve (thanks to everyone's suggestions) and ordered the necessary stuff to start on it. Can't wait!

Nate,
    Thanks for the post and good luck.

Wess

14. Flintlock

Flintlock New Member

I had a great time and made a zillion mistakes but what a blast! A great learning experience and glad I tried it.

Good luck and God bless!!
    Wess

[​IMG]

15. Looks pretty good for your first! I can't wait to see the Pike after you get it done!

16. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

Is that the same fish? Head looks much smaller on the last one than the first picture you posted.

17. Flintlock

Flintlock New Member

Same one, bad angle I guess.

18. Bill Dishman

Bill Dishman Well-Known Member

In the first picture you can see that gill plate extends Beyond the pectoral fin. In the second picture you can see how much it actually shrunk. Next time try an artificial head and you'll see a big difference.
    Nice job on your first fish though, the main thing is that you jumped in there and give it a try.

19. WILD BROOKIES

WILD BROOKIES JOIN EBTJV SAVE A RESOURCE

IT IS DONE!

20. Flintlock

Flintlock New Member

Thanks guys good luck!