1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Smallmouth Replica

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by SpringCreek94, Jun 17, 2016.

1. This is my first time painting a replica and it painted up pretty good. . . I still think the barring and spots are a little to dark and I'm trying to figure that out. I'm using charcoal sticks and feathering out along with some brown-like powders, but it's still not what I'm looking for. Any suggestions?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    When are you applying the pattern? It needs more of the scale tipping, or lighter scales showing in the patterns. That will help them not be so stark. I add them early in the process and with chalk and then lightly go over them with fine steel wool and expose some lighter scales. If they start to fade or get buried too much during the painting, I just give them a touch up.

3. I add the barring earlier in the process too, but next one I'll try more scale tipping to lighten them. Thanks 3bears.

4. All in all I think it looks really nice! Replicas are tough if all you've ever done are skin mounts. I painted my first one recently too and it didn't turn out as nicely as yours.

I'll second what 3bears said about lightly going over the barring with steel wool to soften it up before moving on. Still do scale tipping to blend it even more and add depth. I made the same mistake.

5. Monty Artrip

Monty Artrip Active Member

I agree the barring looks nice. Add some very light tipping as others have said to break it up. I like to use a gold water color pencil for this to avoid the heavy painted look. Off the subject, you could also lightly angle spray the fins with a darker color to pick up the fin rays and add a lot of realism to them. It does appear you have done this a little. Great job!!