1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Skeletons

Discussion in 'Skulls and Skeletons' started by Guus, Jun 17, 2016.

1. Guus

Guus Member

Some skeletons that I articulated in the end of 2015. These are for sale in Oslo, Norway at the moment. Hope you like them! :)

Fischers' lovebird:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

European mole:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Norwegian wild sheep:

[​IMG]

Northern shoveler:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Common murre:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf Well-Known Member

Wonderfully done. Thanks for sharing. Those fine, thin bones on the murre are amazing. On the end of the nose of the mole .. is that an extra bone from the end of the nose?

3. Vkvz

Vkvz New Member

Are you trying to be the best bird guy in the world? ;D
    Fantastic skeletons as usual, and it's really great to see a mole with the prenasal in place at least!
    I usually prefer sober bases, but that lovebird is amazing. Did you take the pictures yourself by the way?

4. As always you did a perfect work ;)
    I remember a couple years before, you said you were not happy with few area of your birds, did it changed now ? Hope so, they look flawless to me :)
    The duck is the more impressive to me here but I know the murre is the more difficult because of all those long thin ribs.
    Did you finished the ram army ?

Yes moles, boars and few other mammals (I don't remember which at the moment) have a bone in the nose.

5. Guus

Guus Member

Thank you all for your kind words! Seabirds like auk, murre and puffin are indeed challenging with their extremely long and thin ventral and dorsal ribs. They tend to bend and warp easily and so does the sternum while drying.
    The mole has indeed a tiny bone in the front of the nose to help it direct towards its prey. It's attached with the original cartilage. Or to say it less fancy, the beetles didn't chew it off :)
    I'm currently setting up a serious photo studio, finally. Bought a couple of good lamps and I'm tweaking everything now so the result is good and standardized. These are taken by me as well, but with a far less ideal setup.
    The sheep are done, yes. It was quite a job! Some are sold, some went back to the owner. Still have like 20 of them and I still need to attach a lot of horns on those. If I only had more time... :)

6. Voltrax

Voltrax New Member

Guus, they are great as always.
    I presume we will meet in Salzburg in 2018? ;)

Sebastien? Jean Christophe? What about you guys?

7. btr

btr Member

I love your mole!

8. Hi Robert, I keep doing some bones, almost finished to clean my ball python skeleton, did a couple more fish skulls.
    For the next 2 months, I'm going to dissect wild boars in the our Natural History Museum (happy of this !).
    Hard to project myself otherwise...

9. PA

PA Well-Known Member

Some very nice skeletons Guus.

However, I don't believe a duck can bend its' wings in that manner. The primaiers are essentially locked into position and the secondaries follow to a certain degree. If you were to place feathers on your finished skeleton, I don't think you could find a photograph of a duck in that wing position. If you google Duck wings and images, you can see many pictures of wing outstretched ducks, and you can never find one with backward facing primaries as your skeleton would suggest. I always interpret the correctness of a skeleton mount based on what wing position would look like if feathers were placed on it. Some latitude can be given, but in my opinion I think you should re-position the down the wing in this particular mount.

10. Taiga72

Taiga72 Member

I've never seen a mole skeleton before! Do they have a different clavicle than most mammals? It seems that front part of the chest would be very strong

11. The entire forelimb of a mole is highly specialized for digging. The clavicle is very short, and has broad articulations with the humerus, scapula, and sternum. It serves as a strong fulcrum for the rest of the forelimb. The manubrum of the sternum is elongated, with a strong keel for the attachment of muscles. The scapula is likewise very long and narrow. The humerus is very strange-looking, with large ridges and spurs for the attachment of muscles. The foot has an extra "toe" called the falciform. It's formed from the radial sesamoid bone and adds to the width of the foot. It's analogous to a panda's "thumb".
    [​IMG]

12. Taiga72

Taiga72 Member

That's amazing! I never would have thought about the adaptations a mole would need for such a specialized lifestyle! Thank you for breaking that down for me