1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Looking ahead

Discussion in 'The Taxidermy Industry' started by catman, Jun 18, 2016.

1. pir^2h

pir^2h Retrievers give you the bird

Thank you! How about that? Someone who thinks the same as I do. I have only entered one competition. My sole reason was to get professional critiques on the mounts I put in for judging. My opinion is at least half of those who enter do solely for the purpose of winning a ribbon so they can brag about winning and no other reason.

I didn't say much when I was at the show I entered but I sure heard a lot. A lot of biotching that "the judges don't know what they are talking about," "my mount was better than (whoevers)," "I am never coming back to this show again," etc. One of my favorites was something like, "They will never know you didn't do the mount!" I know it happens but can you imagine being so desperate to win that you used somebody's work and displayed it as your own to win an award. My daughter overheard this comment and asked me about it. I told her, "You may be able to fool a judge into thinking it is yours but you but you can't fool yourself. You will always know it really wasn't yours and that ribbon was received as a result of deception."

2. Jerry Huffaker

Jerry Huffaker Well-Known Member

All I can say about this is what I try to do. I try to put together the most anatomically accurate mount that my limited knowledge will permit. I don't care who the judges are or how they judge. Why worry about something I have no control over, that's wasted thought. Not trying to impress anyone really just pursuing personal excellence and trying to be the best I can be on a given day. If I want to impress someone all I have to do is show my best friend or a relative and he'll think its the greatest ever. don't get me wrong I'm a fierce competitor I love to win, but I have no fear of not winning. Some times it will work sometimes it won't and I have limited control over the outcome. One of the things I love about taxidermy comps is there are no losers, if you come home with new knowledge , ideas , friends ,more drive from not doing as well as you expected or maybe you helped someone with a kind word or some advice with something they were struggling with, how can that be a loss? If you are an angry , bitter and broken hero then IMO you missed the whole point of being there.

If you are a masters level taxidermist at the show, whether you won anything or not, how about walking over to the professional division and offering some critiques to the up and comers rather than stomping around angry. You could have a huge impact on their lives.

Losers, Broken heros? Only if you let it be

anyway

What's wrong with being happy for the person who does win , they worked just as hard as you did?

3. catman

catman Active Member

Right on Jerry. For me it is trying to do something better than I ever have before. If you come Home bitter and broken, maybe, just maybe, you are getting a precious opportunity to grow on a personal level. Blaming judges or others for not winning, does not create cracks in you, it simply reveals the cracks that are already there. Sometimes these are not easily repaired. This is why some choose to give up their dream of winning the big one. Maybe it's really not about taxidermy, but a metaphor for life. Oh my, now I am overthinking it. Enjoy the journey!
    Remember this relevant quote. You can always get what you want, but if you try sometimes, you might find, you get what you need. Jagger

4. Skywalker

Skywalker Well-Known Member

Never mount a piece for a judge! That was the answer to a question Rick Krane put me on the spot with when we were judging Indiana a couple years back. Chances are you own the piece as not many clients can cover the time needed for a compo mount. You mount the piece for yourself and hope the judges agree. No one should give up the dream of winning big. Just in the meantime do the best you can and cross your fingers.

5. Carolin Brak-Dolny

Carolin Brak-Dolny Active Member

I may as well join in throwing quotes around,

My quote....... You got to be kidding me!

My quote ..... well that sucks

Henry Fords quote....... " Failure is simply the opportunity to begin again, this time more intelligently"

so here I go again!

6. catman

catman Active Member

Here i go again on my own, going down the only road I've ever know like a drifter, I was born to walk alone. And I've made up my mind. I aint wastin' no more time.
    David Coverdale.

7. oldboar

oldboar Taxidermy...do the impossible:)

"The hiway's jammed with broken heros on a last chance power drive".
    Springsteen

Phil,

You "nailed it":)

Everyone needs to do a piece...bring it to the World Show....and hit the bar for some GREAT conversation, hugs, tears, and jeers afterward 8)
    There's some fun to be had. Do it...just do it.

The older I get, the more I forget just great it can be surrounding yourself with good people.

:)

8. Taxiserv

Taxiserv James Newport

My goal for a comp piece is to create something that will stand out to the judges as well as other competitors. Talking to other competitors and saying "No the other deer on the stick is mine, No not that one the one to the left of that one" is the last thing I want!. Just my two cents. James Newport

9. BrianHendricks

BrianHendricks Member

Most of my pieces are animals that I personally collected. I usually collect some habitat that is unique to that species and area. I then create a piece that I think displays the animal's uniqueness. Whether a habit, a pose, it's markings,or just it's fur. First and foremost I do it for me and hope for the best at the shows. So all my pieces mean something to me when the judge didn't think I pulled it off. Which is most of the time.

10. Skywalker

Skywalker Well-Known Member

Brian, you hit the nail on the head. That simply makes it a win win situation!