1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Auto Tanner

Discussion in 'Tanning' started by monarch, Jun 20, 2016.

1. monarch

monarch New Member

Hi, guys - I wonder if you have any experience of the Auto Tanner invented by Steve Rotramel? I understand there is a 22 gallon and a 45 gallon version, wherby the latter can tan around 3 Whitetail capes at a time and the 45 gallon version 3 times that. Looking to buy one and would value your advice. I also understand there is someone making a plastic drum counterpart at a much lesser price, that attracts less erosion to working parts/ Many thanks, Bill.

2. I seen the Ad, in taxidermy today . a while ago,, called the ''taxidermy drum '' Rotramel manufacturing # 877-345-6307 it's 95 gallon. 36'' dia, will do 15 or more capes at one time, price was $1695.00

3. Gary A

Gary A N. West Taxidermy 208-404-9706

I've used one for many years. Talked with Steve years ago. Its the agitation that speeds the process not the pressure. I've ran just about every kind of hide you can imagine through one. I've got a "big" metal one. Virtually bomb proof. Sets hair like u would not believe, good stretch and really easy shaving as it plumps the skin alot. I double shave most hides and do a very thorough after process seperate oiling. Shaving and oiling seem to be key to reduce shrinkage. Works very well imo.

4. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

I actually tanned my own coyotes in one and they came out soft and clean. I specialize in fish now but loved mine.

5. tazzymoto

tazzymoto Well-Known Member

http://helpinghandhangers.com/ourproducts.htm
    Here's a link to the page

6. monarch

monarch New Member

Many thanks guys - I was seriously considering one, though conflicting advise on whether the pressure has any affect on the time to tan a hide? I am given to understand it is the agitating rather than the pressure that gets the tanning done. However, the claim of tanning a hide in four hours was the prime desire and to the costs. If it takes much longer as suggested ( others claim it can be 24hrs) then it is not that convenient or a cheaper solution. 24hrs, to tan a hide, is quite a time to have the electric on and the tanning materials needed for either 22 or 45 gallons could work out quite expensive?

7. I get my deer capes pretty clean before I put them in the auto tanner. One bag of crystals/gal of water for each cape. The tanning crystals are cheap. I run mine for overnight and shave in the am. Always tanned all the way thru. Can't get any easier than that.