1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Dall Sheep Taxidermy

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by John67, Jun 20, 2016.

1. John67

John67 Member

Right Profile 5

Attached Files:

2. John67

John67 Member

Mountain Royalty by Doug Lindstrand is a great $30 investment to use as a reference.

I spent a lot of time on the eyes. I'm close, but didn't quite capture the cant and eye shape that I see on most of my references. I underlined most because some of my reference photos are of some pretty "bug eyed" whacky looking sheep! What do you recommend for the eye angle and cant?

I'm having a tough time getting the fur to lay down correctly on both sides of the bridge of the nose. I'm a bit chicken to use hair gel since I don't want to discolor the fur in any way. Is there a product you can attest to that works well and won't cause issues?

Please rip my process and mount apart. It will only make the next Dall better.

Thanks! John

3. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

It looks as if you've got a good handle on the project. One comment, however. Splitting the skull. IF the head was too small, you corrections will solve the issue but oftentimes, on old rams, the skull and horn bases will grow exponentially versus the muzzle and nose area. If THAT was the case, widening the skull all the way to the nose is going to give you some issues. If you do have to wedge the form instead of splitting it, you must remember that the angle on the eye orpits will change as well and they'll need to be clayed differently.

4. John67

John67 Member

Thank you very much for the comment, and you are correct. I had to dremel the nostril holes closer again. I am also having issues with the fur on the sides of the nose bridge feathering down correctly. Incorrect shape/size and poor skin adjustment are likely all contributing factors. I will not make the same alteration mistake again!

5. phoenix-cry

phoenix-cry Active Member

I love to see the steps. Great work. Those horns are amazing!

6. John67

John67 Member

Thanks phoenix-cry. The horns and deboned meat made for a very heavy pack-out too!

7. John67

John67 Member

Moderator; It appears there will be no further recommendations for improvement. Please push this thread to the tutorial page.

8. PK Taxidermy

PK Taxidermy New Member

Can the same procedure be used with a mouflon?