1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Customer won't get back with me

Discussion in 'The Taxidermy Industry' started by ljones, Jun 24, 2016.

1. ljones

ljones 1994 wasco award winner

I have 2 wt shoulder mounts for a guy ..the last contact I had was by text message about a month ago he was coming on wednesday to get them...I have sent several texts & voice messages since then with no response .. this guy is a coach with a NFL football team so I know money not the problem.. How would you guys handle this ?

2. nate

nate Active Member

That's nothing. I've got a shoulder mount elk in my shop, been there 6 years and it's been paid for. Called the guy this week and told him it needed to be gone or else. Nothing back.

3. ljones

Well at least he paid you ... I just have a deposit on mine

4. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

I have two mounts from a guy I did 4 years ago. I knew him so I didn't even get a deposit. I call him every few months and it's always the same "I be right over". I think they are a permanent fixture in my shop. They do look good in my show room though.

5. ljones

I could never let something like this go on for years rarely do I have something like this happen in the 40 years I have be doing taxidermy... I sent him a letter demanding payment if this dosent work I will probably pull his antlers off the mounts and put some of my replicas on them and sell the mounts

6. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    When I've had similar situations I sent them a letter with a reminder of my storage fee policy and ultimate forfeiture of mount and deposit if they do not make arrangements with me within a set time frame such as 3 business days, I mail 2 copies. This usually lights a fire under their butt and then most call right away and make appointment to pick up or make payments. If I am at that point they are automatically paying at least 1 month storage fees.

7. Brian W

Brian W Well-Known Member

With that particular customer, you might have to punt....... ;D

8. Kerby Ross

Kerby Ross KSU - Class of '83; U.S. Army - Infantry (83-92)

Tell him ...............

Tell him you are going to sell it to his rival coach from the other team.

:)

Kerby...

9. nate

nate Active Member

10. catman

catman Active Member

Just be patient.

11. gab

gab Active Member

may be a very busy time for him.having a deposit should allow you to be a little more patient.I think you need to find another way to contact him such as email or facebook(privately).may have new phone or your messages are getting lost

12. Brian

Brian Active Member

Just let them sit.tell him you understand he's busy but the storage fee will cost him a footbal autographedl by the teams top 5 players.

13. Harry Whitehead

Harry Whitehead I love to hunt Buffalos!!!!!

Some of you need to go back to the school of business. For every day they hang on your wall you are losing money....You don't need a customer like that. Send him a registered letter demanding payment or you will take him to small claims to collect the balance. If no reply, go to the courthouse in his town, file a small claims suit including your time spent and storage fees along with the balance due. He will be served a summons. He will then have to show up in court and he will pay then. If a no show you will receive a judgement. If he still doesn't pay take the judgement back to the court and the judge will make him show with a summons for his arrest. The judge with your guidance will put a lien against any property he has and I'm sure if this guy is REALLY a NFL coach he has some property somewhere. Collect your money and tell him goodbye.....You don't need customers like that...!

14. ljones

I like your way of thinking hopefully it won't come to this but it seems that people that have money can be the worst to deal with .. By the way he really is a NFL coach not a head coach but a underling receivers coach .. I googled him and it looks like he has been making close to a million a year for at least 10 years

15. FishArt

FishArt Well-Known Member

I personally think Harry's formal, legal route is a waste of time for most of us and it'll cost you far more in your time than it's worth. Harry I believe has a larger shop with several employees so he has payroll to meet and a reason to run a super tight ship and have systems in place as I suspect it is happening more often for him. Your customer is only one month behind on pick-up. And unless he signed something stating he has X amount of time to pick-up then you're screwed on the legal route anyway! But, I hate that route. I've been in business 20 years now and I literally have had three fish not picked up. Whoopti-doo! Kept their 50% + deposits AND I have a few display specimens too - lol! AND, I've had a couple of customers show up after two years out of the blue with the other half of their full payment. Nobody likes getting nasty with customers to get paid and going the legal route means no turning back. luckily, it rarely happens. On a higher profile client like this one, I'm not so sure getting all legal on his arse is the smartest thing to do. I've found that the vast majority of the slackers do eventually pick-up as you can see by my track record. The way I do it is I escallate things with each contact and then I wait. Never nasty or legal, but just stating that we ask for prompt pick-up and to please schedule an appointment to pick-up or we will be forced to put their mount in storage and charge them storage fees. I'm not living from paycheck to paycheck like many so I guess I don't need to go all legal and waiting a few weeks longer isn't killing my bottom line.. The one time I have gone legal btw, it did not work. The guy was in jail and bankrupt. I'll never get that time or money spent back. And good luck collecting on ALL your time spent trying to collect. Unless it's a HUGE balance due I see no reason to waste my time. Get half-plus down and it will rarely happen. I understand the not picked-up mounts is money NOT in my pocket thing, but again three mounts out of maybe a couple of thousand in twenty years? Going to court sucks for either party. If you have any negotiating skills, be nice and keep calling your client and eventually things will work out in your favor. He wants his mounts. It's just not a priority on his list right now. Rich people are out of touch with us working stiffs. Heck, the guy is right in the middle of OTA's - probably his busy season right now. Think of the website pic with him holding the mounts you did/endorsement angle. Going legal is one way or trying to work with the guy and being patient is another. Different strokes.... JMO and my way of handling this very rare issue...

16. jim tucker

jim tucker Active Member

Well said Marty. Somehow taxidermists think they can take 6 months to a year and then expect a guy to come and pick up the next day. I have the two week rule on my invoice.....but it is just there because.

Maybe in KY it's different but in Ohio I can go to court and get a judgement BUT nobody is going to jail for non payment. The best I can hope is to get awarded the mount so I can sell it and HOPE to get my money....usually not because most trophies are not worth squat...unless it is yours.

Right now I am extremely behind for me(over a year). Customers are calling daily about stuff. There are ones that are nice...some not so nice, it doesn't matter as things get done in order...BUT I remember and appreciate those that are understanding. Sounds like this guy would be one you don't want to alienate. If it was me I first send a registered letter. If he is truly a big wig he lives in a different world and maybe going the paper route will get him moving.

17. FishArt

FishArt Well-Known Member

De Ja Vu Jim on ALL of the above - lol! Yeah, the thirty day pick-up on my contract is all scare tactics too - lol! MOST pick-up within a week of calling. Can't legally sell a leftover fish mount in Illinois. And IF I ever do the registered letter deal again - I don't go after payment. It is telling them that they have forfeited their deposit and their mount is now mine to do as I wish including disposal. That letter goes out after a year or three of their fish hanging on my wall - lol! IMO, it just isn't worth it to go after the .01 percent of the violators. Not worth the aggravation and I certainly I don't want to spend MORE TIME (and money) chasing something that probably won't amount to anything. So, I make a business decision here for the very, very few that fall into this category...

18. catman

catman Active Member

If you think your time is better spent playing dog the bounty hunter, then go for it. You are a taxidermist. Unless you need the money right now, (if this is the case you are not a very good business person anyway) just do what you do best. Stretch some hide. You have no idea what is going on in this man's life, you also have no idea the scope of his influence. If you take the time to go to the extremes that Harry suggested, you are losing money, you could easily mount a deer head in the amount of time you would spend playing collections agent man. I bet he will pay you and will appreciate your patience.

19. I have a judgment ( i guess I still do ?) on a deer head filed in 1987. Yet to see a single penny on it. A total waste of my time.
    I have thirty days in my contract . Never once have i enforced it. I will give them depending if i know them as much as six months. It's away a easy fix for me. I always have several custmers ever year . That require a cape, remove dead beat customers antlers replace with the customer that need cape. Call them deer ready, just hope its not a repeat all over again. So far thats never happened.
    Not much to do with it but , I have a lifesize piebald deer mount. Mounted and paid for by the state of Louisiana. Been here now going on 5 years. Dont hurt mt feelings one bit. I got my funds abd a very nice display peice. Maybe thell bring something else.

20. bhymel

bhymel Member

Big salery,ha He still might be broke 1 mil in salery, 1.5 in expenses. Remember he's running with the big dogs .