1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Removing dried skin from turkey leg/spur

Discussion in 'Bird Taxidermy' started by dan61psu, Jun 24, 2016.

1. dan61psu

dan61psu New Member

Hello all - first post but i have used this site as a ref - great resource.

I recently removed my first gobbler's spur and leg about 1.5" on either side, then pulled out ligaments and muscle and then pushed out marrow. I packed and set it in borax for four weeks but now would like to deskin/descale and instead boil and whiten the leg. Does anyone have any good iseas to remove the now 'preserved' skin and scale easily? Can i re hydrate and remove it as if it were psuedo fresh?

Thanks for any insight u may be able to offer!!

2. duxrus

duxrus Active Member

I would live with what you have. The bones get extremely brittle once they dry so the odds of being able to modify what you have without shattering them might not be worth the chance. If you are a gambler then I would soak them in water and dawn until they loosen up enough to scrape them clean

3. DaneBisel

DaneBisel Member

Yes, you can rehydrate and remove skin no problem. I do it all the time

4. dan61psu

dan61psu New Member

Water and dish soap soak or other methods?

Not too worried about brittleness - if they crack i can just keep spur and use bondo or glue if i have to. The dried skin and scale just doesnt look good -- scales came off a bit and look ugly

5. Nancy C

Nancy C Well-Known Member

It will smell better if you use water with a good handful of salt in it. Just let it soak for a day or two and then scrape it clean. Rinse it well after you're done, otherwise it might pull moisture out of the air whenever the humidity is high.

6. duxrus

duxrus Active Member

Listen to Dane and Nancy since they have delt with this more than me

7. dan61psu

dan61psu New Member

Thanks all - gonna give it a shot!