1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

The Wildlife Ranch (Texas)

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by monarch, Jun 27, 2016.

1. monarch

monarch New Member

Hi, guys - I am considering a trip to the above ranch for trophy Axis, Blackbuck,Mouflon and wonder if any of you have any experience of the place? I am travelling from the UK this summer, and would welcome any information or indeed if there is an alternative ranch you would recommend? Thanks, Bill.

2. Taximan2016

Taximan2016 Member

It's a easy hunt. All the animals are separated in pens

3. oneforthewall

oneforthewall New Member

Not really a hunt...........

4. monarch

monarch New Member

Thanks Guys - thats a no from me then! Can anyone suggest a ranch where good trophies of the above can be had that can be considered a fair hunt?

5. Museum Man

Museum Man Well-Known Member

777 ranch in texas might be the best one to go to

6. Pm sent over, avoid the place like the plague!
    DC

7. Tannertroop

Tannertroop Member

Squa mountain ranch in Jacksboro is good also.

8. There is not many fair hunts for any of those species. There non native and all on high fence ranches, no high fence hunt is fair imo.

9. monarch

monarch New Member

Many thanks guys - I accept it is not exactly a fair hunt so to speak ( unless I went to India etc) I just want them to be in a large ranch where they are what you would consider semi wild) I have had a look at the 777 ranch, and that is defo not for me with so many exotics and the fence so obvious and tame animals) Timing is important as I want to harvest the above animals in prime condition for mounting.

10. hogmess

hogmess Member

Texas
    I wouldn't say they are all behind high fences. There are thousands of axis, fallow, blackbuck sika etc... behind low fence in Texas. We have axis on our place that come and go. I live about 50 minutes from the Wildlife ranch in Mason, TX. I would stay away from the wildlife Ranch they have tons of bad reviews. If you need help finding a place to hunt shoot me a PM I will point you in the right direction.

11. monarch

monarch New Member

Manty thanks for the information guys - looks like the place to avoid is the Wildlife Ranch! Hogmess, I am very interested in your response, if there is any chance of fair chase for decent animals, them I

12. Nathan

Nathan Active Member

The West Kerr ranch, near Mountain Home is a good place to try, in my opinion. It is around 11,000 acres. High fenced, as most of the Hill country is, but the animals there are from a self reproducing population, and are quite wild. You could definitely go there and not get your Axis, as it is not a sure thing. I have hunted there half a dozen times over the past 17 years, and have always had a good experience.