1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Coca-Cola de-greasing?

Discussion in 'Skulls and Skeletons' started by Pandion haliaetus, Jun 27, 2016.

1. Has anyone heard anything about de-greasing skulls in Coca-Cola? I had recently met someone who swore by it and showed me a picture of a skull they supposedly de-greased this way. It was almost spotless. Were they just pulling my leg? Or is this something legitimate? I might end up experimenting with this.

2. Coca-Cola is acidic, with a pH of about 2.5. It will dissolve bones and teeth, but will have little effect on grease.

3. Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf Well-Known Member

Ditto. Drop some teeth or bone into a glass of Coke and leave it there for a couple of days. Poof! All gone. This is a common demonstration in classrooms (along with vinegar and chicken bones) and for parents to try and get their kids to stop drinking the stuff.

4. cyclone

cyclone Posts: 400001

I like to mix a little rum with it... ;)

5. Oh, alright. Thanks

6. AH7

AH7 New Member

Please tell me that you are not talking about mixing the coke that you have dissolved teeth into with rum. Yurk.

7. cyclone

cyclone Posts: 400001

Well, the bridge might fall off and into it every now and then..But no, straight from the bottle, each component..

8. I was extremely addicted to coca cola, so bad that a psychiatrist told me it was causing my mental health and heart problems. I did eventually stop drinking the stuff through sheer will power alone, and three years later I managed to stop drinking all soft drinks, again through sheer will power. I haven't had any form of a soft drink in around 6 years now and I'm quite proud of that small achievement. I also don't drink Alcohol. Never tried it, never will, I like having my wits about me. (I'm a sober Irish lol)

As for using coca cola on skulls... I can't imagine the acid in coke NOT doing anything to the bones.

9. Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf Well-Known Member

LOL A little extra calcium in the diet can't hurt.