1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

need sewing tips for butt end

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by hawkstalon, Jun 28, 2016.

1. hawkstalon

hawkstalon New Member

I have never done any real taxidermy, but im getting a skunk case skinned and id like to know how to sew the butt end closed after i stuffed it for a soft mount (a taxidermist is mounting the head for me). If anyone has a link to a video or can explain it that would be great!
    Thanks~

2. txoutdoors

txoutdoors Active Member

Really? Perhaps you should have the taxi do that for you as well.

3. hawkstalon

hawkstalon New Member

Well i had another pelt and it didn't line up at all so it was odd to sew. I guess if he skinned it right it should all line up?

4. Trapper2016

Trapper2016 Thanks for this awesome forum!

Hello,
    I always use a "drawstring stitch", at least thats what i call it. I am not sure of its proper term though. I am sure someone here will come to your aid with the proper name of the stitch, but it is essentially the same stitch you see on a drawstring backpack or the like. It is just one stitch that circles the anus, and when it reaches the starting point of teh needle insertion, you pull tight, and the anus closes just like a drawstring. Then you just tie off. Sorry i can't be more helpful, i just don't recall the proper name of the stitch.

Good luck
    Chris

5. Paul B

Paul B Active Member

Base ball stich is the easiest, tie off to start then in through the skin side and out fur then cross over, through skin side and out fur side, cross over, you get the idea.

6. hawkstalon

hawkstalon New Member

Thank you both these are very helpful stitches! :)

7. jake7719

jake7719 Well-Known Member

To keep everything lined up put a stitch in the middle then one 1/2 way from the end on on side then the other side.

1. x
    2. x x x
    3. x x x x x x

Then use a baseball stitch or a whip stitch all the way across. This will keep it all lined up and wont get all bunched up at the end. You can all so pin it then sew.

8. Jazz95

Jazz95 Take a walk on the Wild side.

You can always take pelt, line everything up, and start by putting a few stitches around the anus first, with the rest still open, just so that you're 100% for certain that's where it's supposed to be.
    Then sew the legs and the thighs, and then the anus is already done and in place? :)