1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Top Five Reasons to Move to Juneau, Alaska and set up a Taxidermy Studio

Discussion in 'The Taxidermy Industry' started by PacWest, Jul 1, 2016.

1. PacWest

PacWest Active Member

Top Five Reasons to Move to Juneau, Alaska and set up a Taxidermy Studio

If you are truly set on being a successful taxidermist, no matter what, and you are somewhat frustrated by the feeling that the field of taxidermy is getting too crowded, then here is your hot tip: Move to Juneau, Alaska. Period. If you have been dreaming of a hot, exciting location where there is no taxidermy competition, then you now have absolutely no excuses in your search for a suitable location where you can create a true career in taxidermy. Here are five reasons why you should take my advice.

#1 THERE IS NO TAXIDERMY PRESENCE

I live and work here as a boat captain, and during the last few years, there has been a serious and notable void in available taxidermy services. In short, there are no taxidermists here. Oh, there might be a couple guys doing some part time work somewhere, but they do not have a presence anywhere that I can see and I am in every single outdoor-related store, shop and business within the entire borough of Juneau. What are you waiting for?

#2 THE POTENTIAL CLIENT BASE IS HUGE

Cruise Ships: Not only is Juneau a city of over 30,000 people, but it's entire identity is related to the tourism industry. More specifically, this is the nerve center for cruise ship ports in SE Alaska. With over one million people stopping here every summer (May-Sept) and many of them participating in our thriving charter fishing industry, the potential client base is up to you.

Lodges: SE Alaska is also home to numerous fishing and hunting lodges. Almost every single lodge here has to refer clients to someone, and most likely that 'someone' is in the lower 48. Just google how many lodges are here. Just seeing the results should get you excited. There are too many to list. I am familiar with one of the best and most productive fishing lodges in SE Alaska and they have their fish repros done in CANADA of all places. That is just wrong. Where are the ambitious taxidermists that I know are out there?

Locals: Almost 40% of the working adults in Juneau are all employed by city, state or federal government. Translation:THEY HAVE MONEY AND THEY HAVE DISPOSABLE INCOME, all ready to pay a taxidermist for their hunting and fishing endeavors.

In short, most of your potential clients will be people from out of the area and that means you won't have dozens of people stopping by your studio using up your physical time that can be spent working.

#3 THIS IS A MODERN CITY BARELY IN ALASKA

Yes, this is Alaska but it's also not mainland Alaska, which means you are closer to the lower 48 than most Alaskans will ever be. Travel is shorter to lower 48 and product shipping distance is shorter. The weather here is somewhat mild and you won't experience all the terrible ice and snow that mainland Alaska is known for. For example, this past winter, people in Juneau only had to shovel their driveways twice. It can get worse, but it is mild compared to the rest of Alaska. The ocean never freezes over here and there is year round fishing.

Not only is Juneau closer to lower 48, but it also has a good business culture. There are large stores here such as Sportsman's Warehouse, Fred Meyer, Costco, Home Depot, Western Auto, NAPA, etc and plenty of restaurants. There are also neighboring communities on which a customer base can be drawn from such as Sitka, Ketchikan, Hoonah, and more.

#4 GOOD HUNTING AND FISHING LOCATION

Juneau is a very good location, and jumping off point, for decent Alaska hunting. There are deer, brown bear, black bear, world class mountain goat, moose and wolves closeby. And Juneau is where everyone flies out of, or into, while hunting and fishing in SE Alaska. I already mentioned the lodges, but fishing is very popular all over SE Alaska and most people have no idea that they can have reproduction created for fish they caught in the past. And speaking of the locals here having that disposable income, a lot of people fly north and hunt caribou, moose, sheep, grizzlies, etc.

#5 THIS IS A HOME-BUSINESS-FRIENDLY LOCATION

Yes, SE Alaska in general is a little more expensive place to live than the midwest, but it is not nightmarish like Hawaii or Northern Alaska. A home business is very common up here and Alaska is very casual place where potential clients would not be turned off at all by a business set up in a garage or home. I know because I go to many of them every month to buy things and get services. Having a home-based business can be a great way to afford living and working here, but do not discount searching for a retail location or store front possibility. There are plenty of empty buildings here and a person might be able to set up a great arrangement with the right building owner.

To summarize, this is a target rich environment that is ripe for the taxidermy picking. In my opinion, a guy or gal with a good work ethic and business sense could make a killing here and be a truly successful taxidermist while accomplishing a true career. There are also jobs here for spouses or young people as well.

I hope this helps someone. I am a long gone burned out taxidermist who would love to see someone make it up here. Good luck and I hope this article did not offend anyone in any way.

2. PacWest

PacWest Active Member

If I can help anyone with any info, send me a PM and I will reply eventually. Good luck

3. Glass eye

Glass eye Active Member

CA governor just signed a sweeping gun bill that also includes background checks to buy ammo. I see a major exodus from CA.

4. Jerry Huffaker

Jerry Huffaker Well-Known Member

SE AK is one of my favorite places in the world, spent a lot of time there fishing and hunting. Beautiful

5. KatieC

KatieC Active Member

I bet it's beautiful up there but I've heard living expenses are high, though sounds like not bad compared to some other places in Alaska. Someday I'd like to visit. Pretty sure I couldn't afford to live there.

6. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

Juneau is a tough sell. Perhaps if you're a fish guy but on the cusp for hunters. I can get a direct flight to Anchorage out of most major cities. Fairbanks is a bit tougher for direct flights but single plane change in SeaTac, Minneapolis, Detroit, or Chicago are common with even avSalt Lake connections. Try getting to Juneau. The majority of big game hunting is headquartered in Anchorage and Fairbanks. Just the facts of life.

7. steamvalley

steamvalley some cleaned and dipped skulls

What kind of hospital/ nursing facilities you have up there? I would need a place for the wife to work?

8. Its a nice place to visit but i wouldnt want to live there.

9. steamvalley

steamvalley some cleaned and dipped skulls

Holy Chit no way in hell. Did a little research. In Alaska I would be paid slightly more than here. And housing alone would break me. No thanks.