1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

couple nice bobcats!

Discussion in 'Lifesize Mammals' started by huntiholic, Jul 1, 2016.

1. huntiholic

huntiholic Member

couple bobcats i just finished up! would love your thoughts good or bad.. thanks!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Paul B

Paul B Active Member

Looks good but I don't care for the spots of growth on the rocks, eyes went right to them. Take them off and I think the pieces would look better, JMO.

3. saddletramp501

saddletramp501 Member

nose look to red

4. Overall they look nice but a few things jump out. I'm with PaulB, the spots(green/white) on the rocks jump out at me.
    Cat going up-left, the ears look to far apart, the nose looks to dark(might be the flash), where is his neck? It looks like his head is growing from its shoulders and the front legs look stumpy/short.

Cat going downhill- nose to dark and flat, back right foot/ toes look odd. Front foot-toes do not look like they have weight on them.

5. Museum Man

Museum Man Well-Known Member

agreed, ears are on the sides of the skull and need to come up more...bases are way to busy...less is always better

6. Gurneyjockey

Gurneyjockey Member

Good critiques from everyone, but I have to say I think the bases turned out very nice!

7. huntiholic

huntiholic Member

thanks guys.. appreciate the feedback... i definitely agree with some of your comments.. but to defend myself on the lichen.. i understand it appears busy.. but I'm trying to make it look as real as possible.. and the lichen grows thick on our basalt rock we have around here.. my mistake on the upright cat is a make the circles slightly too big.. but i corrected that on the down hill cat.... here are some examples..

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. Duckslayr

Duckslayr Active Member

I hear what you are saying, but what difference do you see between your reference and work? When you want to highlight something, you isolate it. The boldness of your lichen combined with the isolation or spacing really draws your eye. Even if habitat is spot on to reference, it should never draw you away from the focal point. If replicating your local rock formations is important to you, I'd suggest experimenting with covering the rock with it, or taking some artistic license to tone it down. Look up some of Mike Vernelson's work for inspiration. Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. NMJagdHunter

NMJagdHunter Ted Wenner

Stand strong, I like the bases too, lichens get super crazy sometimes. Im sure once they are off that black background they won't pop so much either. I agree with the other critiques, ear position is the one that jumps out the most to me, but definitely better than most bobcats you see done!

10. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    I don't think the lichen themselves are distracting but rather the placement appears too predictable or even. Nature doesn't typically work that way.

11. huntiholic, you made my point with your photos. The white/green is to bold on your base. In your photos - When on the same rock the oranges and yellows are more prominent than the white/greens.

12. One other thing that bothers me are the even amount of plants/bushes. A good rule- Always odd amount and never even.

13. Swtchmob21

Swtchmob21 Active Member

Forget about the bases, they look great way too much focus on them, bottom line here are your problems:

Ears are a huge problem the top one ears are way too far apart. Look at reference, hell if you have a pet cat look at those it will help a ton. Also the eyes are not the same shape they are slightly off and not the same.

The bottom cat ears also look wrong reference reference my man. It could be the photo but it does not look alive the ears are a huge deal with cats or any forward facing animal. Bear, coyote, wolf, etc..... many taxidermist struggle with this

Besides the ears if you could change that it would change the whole look of your cats but overall the bases go well with the spots of the cats very pleasing to look at