1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

An Open Letter to Carl Akeley

Discussion in 'The Taxidermy Industry' started by Joe Kish, Jul 1, 2016.

1. Brian Reinertson

Brian Reinertson Well-Known Member

Iowa
    "If you are a pompous ass, don't speak in public"

Mike Burkett

2. michael p.

michael p. Getting better with age :)

"It's ****ing cold!! Why did you let my drunk ass walk out here with you?" Brian Claar

3. Skywalker

Skywalker Well-Known Member

If we are going to start with funny quotes from other taxidermists, I'm out. Really a good thing I don't have a couple beers in me!

4. Amy

Amy Mammal artist

Lol!

"I drink up the colors. I suck it off with my eyes"

From Stuff the world

5. Brian

Brian Active Member

You thought you farted, but you sharted-jr

6. catman

catman Active Member

"It gave me goose pimples"
    Skip Skidmore

7. Carolin Brak-Dolny

Carolin Brak-Dolny Active Member

My favourite

It's not a crime to be stupid, it's just unhandy.

8. EA

EA Well-Known Member

There is no sense in being stupid unless you are going to show it.

9. Allie

Allie Member

This thread has gone south. I wish I had never included Man Ray's quotes, but I thought they were appropriate and insightful. My apologies, Mr. Kish.

10. Kerby Ross

Kerby Ross KSU - Class of '83; U.S. Army - Infantry (83-92)

Never ......

"Never, ever, take poker advice from someone who has fewer chips than you"

Kerby Ross

:)

Kerby...

11. John Janelli

John Janelli New Member

N.J.
    "Whenever we can make people think, for goodness sake, let us not delay!"

Carl Akeley - April 20, 1924

12. michael p.

What's wrong with the South? It's so good that even Kish ran to it.

13. John Janelli

John Janelli New Member

N.J.
    Came across this awhile back, but just as impressive nonetheless...

http://coastalgunite.com/wp-content/uploads/articles/2012AkeleyAward-White.pdf

14. catman

catman Active Member

Aha! Turns out Carl is the father of airborn concrete application.

15. jim tucker

jim tucker Active Member

He probably is more famous for that...ha ha

16. Allie

Allie Member

Akeley was the Godfather of Shotcrete!

He also invented a high speed (slow motion) movie camera. In short, he was a brilliant man who invented whatever he needed to do what he wanted to do. He apparently knew no boundaries and was a very determined man. It would have been cool to be a fly on the wall of one of his tents during an African expedition with Teddy. And I bet there were a lot of flies.

17. PA

PA Well-Known Member

Actually while Teddy and Carl met a few days in Africa, they didn't make a joint trip as is sometimes cited in literature. What is interesting is to read the passages in Carl's book and then compare them with the passages in Teddy's book. Teddy barely mentions Carl as he was with a USNM expedition, whereas Carl made a big deal about running into Teddy.

18. John Janelli

John Janelli New Member

N.J.
    Stephen, the roots of the Roosevelt East African Expedition were personally planted and cultivated by Carl Akeley after a lecture he gave on the topic at the White House during a luncheon long before their logistics were realized. The initial goal was for TR to hunt in Alaska for a year collecting the flora and fauna in the great northwest. Fate had other plans. TR arrived in Africa first and then 6 months later, CEA arrived, but not at the same location. They were to meet upon the Uasin Gishu Plateau. They finally met at the Nzoia River after sending numerous runners frantically searching for the Presidential safari. My God man, how could Akeley have not made a big deal when the runners came back reporting seeing an enormous American flag leading a caravan of the single most important person to meet up with in the bush, an American ex president!
    Keep in mind that at the same time it had been circulating via the American Embassy in Rome that TR was killed there in Africa prior to seeing Akeley. It was well planned in advance that Theodore Roosevelt and his son Kermit would collect several elephants for the AMNH in addition to NMNH collections, not to mention a few personal trophies as well, of which Congress voted not to pay for the taxidermy of. Make no mistake, the two men became exceptionally close while on that expedition. If there was any one story that ever stuck to my heart strings it was when Sinclair related to me the time these two amazing naturalists, were both sitting under an acacia tree waiting for the skinners to arrive (James L. Clark was one of them.) They talked and talked for hours about some of the most personal aspects of their lives. A pact was supposedly made between them that if the United States ever needed to fight in a war over seas, they would go together in battle. In the words of my dear friend Penelope Bodry Sanders when she wrote her own Akeley book, "...they aired dirty linen the way two strangers on a bus will reveal terribly personal things about themselves - facts that bind people together in an unspoken oath of silence and trust."
    When Theodore Roosevelt wrote, he always needed to be the first and foremost subject matter of his adventures. It's what Putnam and Scribner paid him very well to do in the first place. How else could TR have afforded the totaled price tag of $50,000.00 for him and Kermit to be there?
    Incidentally, you may like to pick up a copy of Darrin Lunde's new book; "Theodore Roosevelt - The Naturalist" available at bookstores or online.

19. michael p.

And now the book of Joe interviewing Joe..... umm I mean Akeley..... Joe, stop.... just stop... your legacy should be one of an artist, a sculptor, a taxidermist...... what you are doing now, STOP! Your legacy should not be that of a grown man trying to tear down honest, respected organizations and slandering those members beyond any reconciliation.

Joe, stop and show gratitude to those trying to help grow the industry...... for once in your life be humble and give a simple 'thank you' to those who are dedicating 100's of unpaid hours to respect and grow an industry you were such an integral part of.

Thank you to all the unpaid volunteers, officers and board members who work dillagenty to put on great shows, educate the new and old school Taxidermists and give them the chance to improve our industry.

Seriously...... thank you to all of you, you are building this industry, not keeping it in a dark light.

20. Sonnyknight

Sonnyknight Member

Here
    Can't wait for the book joe it sounds like a good one. :)