1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

What do people look for from wholesale taxidermy?

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by tmpatton22, Jul 3, 2016.

1. Hello all, I am thinking about taking in some wholesale taxidermy work but I wanted to know exactly what people look for from wholesale work. I thought that I would offer mounting for deer. To me wholesale taxidermy would be just mounting the animal and letting it dry then send it to where ever it needs to go and not do any of the finish work/painting. Is this close to what most wholesale taxidermist do? Any feedback would be helpful. Feel free to email me at [email protected] or call me at (513) 535 - 9067.

Thanks,
    Tim

2. Mike Powell

Mike Powell Well-Known Member

Deer mounting is the biggest part of the work load for most taxidermists, but also the most competitive in terms of pricing. Most taxidermists that farm work out to wholesalers send out the work like fish or birds, so that they can focus on doing their own deer mounts. The smaller profit margin, and cost of shipping to and from a wholesaler would make deer mounts difficult to send out and still make a profit. Taxidermists with a large workload hire good taxidermists to come in and work out of their shops for a few weeks rather than send the work out. If someone were to send the work out to a wholesaler it would certainly not be profitable to only do the mounting. As for expectations for those used as wholesalers, quality, price and speed would be the important factors in that order. IMO

3. Thank you for your input MLP. What you said makes a lot of sense. I was asking about doing deer wholesale because there is a taxidermist about 50 miles from me and he is kind of wanting to get out of deer and focus more on fish, so I was thinking if I could do his deer wholesale that would help me and him and we wouldn't have the expense of shipping them back and forth. Thank you again for your input. Have a great day.

4. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

So much depends on the deal itself. A few years back when I had family issues, I subbed out gameheads and I paid $200 per head. Now before someone has a stroke, I supplied the manikin, the eyes, earliners, hide paste, clay, and a TANNED HIDE. If I were subbing it out without supplying those amenities, I'd expect to pay more than that. In fact, If all I have to do is give the hide to the contractor, I don't expect to make much over $100 for a "customer ready" return. After all, if I wanted have a bigger cash influx, I'd have done them myself.

5. JL

JL Taxidermist for 64 years

The down side of getting mounts done by a wholesaler is getting the stuff to and from. So pricing becomes a big issue if you're not charging enough already. I only send out birds 'cause I just can't do them as well or as fast as by my wholesaler. He charges a fixed price per bird and I double that price plus the shipping both ways...even if I can pick them up or meet him somewhere. I simply get the shipping cost from UPS and add that price to the cost of the mount and that's the charge. I keep a couple of birds he's done for me as samples of his work for customers to evaluate. Wish I could do them that well myself....but I can't....I'm a fish man. The man I use for my birds is Ryan Rhodes Taxidermy in Maine. Tel# 401-787-2994. Using him I get a great bird mount and we both make money.

6. gab

gab Active Member

I supply cape horns form and eyes and expect a finished mount that I can call the customer on as soon as I get it.I pay 25% of my price list.165 for whitetail 175 for exotic.

7. Wow...if its working for you that would be great.