1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Easy set face system

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by Jordan Park, Jul 4, 2016.

1. Jordan Park

Jordan Park Active Member

Hey everyone,

I have a bobcat I want to mount and just looking at these easy set face systems and wondering if anyone's used them and how did you like it? Was it easy to use? Were the results good or do you get better results from a conventional face?

Thanks,

Jordan

2. Paul B

Paul B Active Member

They work ok, I prefer the standard option, not every face will fit a plastic mold perfectly.

3. Jordan Park

Thanks Paul! Anyone else with any experience with them?

4. pir^2h

pir^2h Retrievers give you the bird

I did a grey fox with the Easy Face system last year and I think it turned out pretty good (for me!). I did all the work and used the foxes original nose but sort of had help through pointers though. I e-mailed Brian Hendricks (the sculptor, he is on here under his own name) with photos and he sent me back suggestions to improve the mount.

Vic

5. Jordan Park

Thanks Vic!
    I've never mounted a bobcat before and I totally get that they are a tricky animal to get the face right. I was curious if these easy set faces take all the guess work out of it and make me popping out professional looking cats right off the bat.

6. Mike Powell

Mike Powell Well-Known Member

I personally like the easy face system. For someone new at bobcats and foxes it does make it a little easier to line key elements of the face up. You still may have to make adjustments, particularly if you want to change the expression. You still need to know what you're doing and have good reference, but the easy face forms are a lot more accurate and easy to work with than a lot of the other form out there on the market. IMHO

7. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

My experiences with the easy face system bobcat by Brian Hendricks:

I have seen pics on here of them and some look fantastic while others were, well, really bad. My point? You still have to do a good job on it as it is not a miracle form.

The one I did turned out great. I had done several conventional ones before trying the easy face system. I didn't find it much faster or "easier", just different. There were some inherent imperfections in the cast face that I had to overcome.

My over all opinion is that it helps someone who has never done one avoid the clay work, which helps you to not be overwhelmed and although I am a firm believer in learning how to do the clay work, It makes a pleasing mount and I would not hesitate to use one again.

8. Jordan Park

Thank you MLP and Tanglewood!! I think I'll give the easy face a try and see how it goes. I won't be able to compare it to anything, but I believe now as a beginner it may be the way to go.

9. bonus41

bonus41 Member

In my experience I started with the easy set face for my first mount. But then I started to avoid doing claywork and my first claywork mount looked horrible because I never learnt the 'fundamentals'... I would suggest learning on how to properly clay a mount before moving onto the plastic piece together stuff

10. Mike Powell

Mike Powell Well-Known Member

What bonus41 says is true, and I have made that point in other posts regarding the easy face system. It should also be noted that, particularly with cats, people learn to do clay work, but never learn the 'fundamentals' of lining up the key elements of the face. Any form is a tool - some better in some ways than others. It is still an art that has to be learned. I've been at this for a few years now and I am still learning. That being said, the easy face system is a form that will help you learn to line up the face correctly, or at least more so than most other forms out there. Good luck with it!

11. bonus41

bonus41 Member

I think you are the one who told me that a few years ago.... I never listened and learnt the hard way..

12. BrianHendricks

BrianHendricks Member

Thanks for the input from all.Jordan, Tanglewood and MLP hit most of the advantages of the system. As stated, they were designed to help the beginner to create a more accurate look. Especially with cats, there's plenty to concentrate on besides the clay work. They are also used by experienced taxidermists to create a better looking face in less time. A feature not mentioned is the pre painted artificial nose (Bobcats). A big time saver and very realistic look. Thanks for the interest and let me know if you need more info. Brian

13. Jordan Park

Thanks so much Brian! I'm gonna give it a shot and see how it turns out. Can't wait to start!