1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Cow Elk caruncle?

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by agua3777, Jul 6, 2016.

1. I need some help folks. I'm doing the finish work on a cow elk, sculpting in particular. It's always been my impression that elk have a caruncle similar to deer. I've searched literally hundreds of elk head and eye reference photos over the last couple days (my library, on line, taxi-net game heads) and the results are in... One photo has a small reflection in the front corner of the eye that might indicate a caruncle.
    Maybe the lighting and or angle of the photos are making it illusive or I'm just half blind. So, does an elk have a visible caruncle? And if they do, does anyone have a photo they would be willing to share?

2. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    Are you referring to the nictitating membrane? If so, yes they have one. Check the pics in the game head reference photos. There are some. I am not entirely up to snuff on my anatomy terms but I believe the "Caruncle" you asked about is the indent which the membrane is located in.

3. It's possible your right 3bears, the indent forward of the nictitating membrane. I was expecting to find a small fleshy glob of material ahead of the nicitating membrane. Much like the inside corner of our eye, the area where eyelashes tend to lodge.

4. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    I don't see anything like that on any pictures I've been looking at and I have been studying them closely lately, I have an elk form on the stand now.

5. Thanks for the confirmation 3bears. I agree, and I'll move on to painting with the membrane only in place. Thank you!

6. KatieC

KatieC Active Member

These are the best I have right now, not sure if they'll help.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. URL=http://s1376.photobucket.com/user/jeffvandermolen/media/image_zpsfhz5ynt5.jpeg.html][​IMG][/URL][img]
    Ok, finally found a reference photo of an elk caruncle. I'll try to upload from photobucket. Look in the front corner of this eye. I think modge podge will work for this addition.

8. Thanks KatieC, I appreciate your help. Those are typical of the photos I've found.

9. KatieC

KatieC Active Member

I would not use someone else's mount or artwork for reference. Too bad there aren't some closer, brighter photos out there of that part of the eye.

10. Thanks for the reminder KatieC. Wish there was a "like" button on Taxinet. Your advise prompted me to review that photo with greater detail and avoid making a mistake on my mount. Thx.

11. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    Aw come on Katie, I already have those ones, show me some more that I don't have. Jeff, I don't have the chance to mount a ton of elk and when I do they are already skinned out by others so I don't know for sure but nothing I have seen shows anything like that picture you posted.

12. KatieC

KatieC Active Member

I haven't been able to find much else for eye detail with just a google search. If there were any elk farms around here I'd go get some pictures!