1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Walleye Color

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by mark w, Jul 10, 2016.

1. mark w

mark w Member

I painted my first walleye yesterday, followed the paint schedule from Mckenzie, to me it looks to green, it should have more of a golden tone.
    Any suggestions, I used Polytranspar water base colors.
    Thanks Mark

2. You'll likely get the same response from numerous others, but I hope this is somewhat helpful. Given that it was your first fish, you can leave it as it is and use it as a learning experience, or you can strip it and start again. I personally don't use paint schedules anymore, though they were helpful in the beginning. I paint what I see, as best I can. Practice, practice, practice... and so on. I'm never truly satisfied when I'm done, but I suppose a continued effort on improvement is a side effect of my perfectionism... not a bad problem to have, but a problem nonetheless.

3. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

Ditto what Outdoorzman said.

Also keep in mind that walleye can vary quite a bit in coloration and tones. The Canadian shield lake walleyes I get in are quite dark in color with intense gold scales while the Lake Erie Walleye I do are much lighter with a greenish dorsal surface or green/brown. Local walleye seem to be in between.

Over time you'll get a feel for what looks right from where they are caught and customer photos help too.

BTW you can easily tone the green down with some brown.

4. mark w

mark w Member

Thanks for the response, it looks alright, might just tweek the next one

5. To piggy back off this thread, I painted a walleye prior to the two I posted on the month of fish pictures that got really dark on me and overpainted---first one I've done in a while, plus I'm using water based/acrylic paints versus lacquer that I used on everything when I did taxidermy full time...it's been an adjustment.

I've glossed the fish already using a krylon clear acrylic gloss. This made the fish even darker, much more than I anticipated, and something else I'm still figuring out how much I need to factor in that change while painting so they turn out as what I'm envisioning once glossed and done.

I really don't want to strip the fish and start over but will if I have to. I was going to try lightening the fish up with some silvers, whites, and light golds and glossing it again. Is there any reason why I can't do this? Any tips for what to be careful of when touching up a fish after it has been glossed with the intention of glossing it again afterwards I should be aware of?

Thanks for any help in advance.

6. den007

den007 Active Member

Where is the picture?