1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

green pickerel

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by den007, Jul 10, 2016.

1. den007

den007 Active Member

I am supposed to do a replica of a pickerel that has some unusual coloration. I have seen this on dogfish where the fins are lime green and it is in the mucus.

This is truy an interesting and unique fish!

Attached Files:

2. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

I've seen this on the internet before here:
    http://www.grindtv.com/fishing/mystery-surrounding-neon-green-pike-appears-to-have-been-solved/

Recently I saw some perch pics where the inside of the mouths were that way too. The perch originally came from my pond. (Stocked with fish from my pond.)
    Here they are:

[​IMG]

Looks like a saltwater color neon green will be put to use? LOL

3. AZ~Rich

AZ~Rich " Africa" never fails to satisfy

Funny, it looks like they consumed some Methylene Blue which causes that exact coloration of tissues. I used it many times in medical research as a differentiating bio-dye.

4. den007

den007 Active Member

Open wide and say Ahhhhhhhh….

Attached Files:

5. Flintlock

Flintlock New Member

That is pretty cool!

6. Sweet looking fish! Where was it caught? I've never caught a chain pickerel since they're not near me but is that what this is? I know they're in the same family as northern pike and muskies and don't grow as big and that's about it. That fish looks like a northern pike that doesn't have a distinct pattern, which I've caught several like that (minus the crazy cool green) with muted coloration over the years since like other fish their colorations will vary from area to area, even lake to lake, and time of year. I apologize for being ignorant but is that the same fish as a northern pike I'd catch in MN it's just referred to as a pickerel in your area or is it actually a different species? If so, what distinguishes it from other species of pike?

7. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    Good luck on that one Dennis, It will always look wrong to you, even if you match the pictures to a T. Matching pictures of fish isn't often that difficult, if they look like you are accustomed to but, that one is kind of fugly.

8. den007

den007 Active Member

Yes, pickeral and pike look similar, pickeral are smaller, seem to be more of an eastern fish. Normal ones have a chainike pattern down their sides, very different than a pike or musky. Only have done a couple of those in my life, but they look very suave.

9. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

I've done a few wholesale and they all dried very dark - almost black. I whited them out, antiqued, and painted like a reproduction.

10. RLang

RLang New Member

I've caught two pike that colour here in the northwest territories. One about 3lbs and one about 7lbs. Here's a story about a local fellow that caught a bigger one a while back.
    http://www.myyellowknifenow.com/7503/yellowknife-man-catches-neon-pike-on-great-slave-lake/

I would love to know if it's environmental or genetic. Fascinating colour on a fish to me anyways.