1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Threading a needle

Discussion in 'Tutorials' started by George, Jul 10, 2016.

1. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

I can just imagine the guffaws about posting a topic like this, but after all these years, I find that one of the most basic tasks we do as taxidermists is still made difficult from not having been properly educated.

Unless I miss my guess, 99 out of 100 of you simply push a piece of thread through the eye and begin sewing. Surprisingly, there's a much better way. It's common practice with quilt makers and it entails using a doubled thread whether you're sewing double or single threads. In single thread, it allows you to cinch your seams without the needle unthreading. On double threads, it allows you to sew to the very end and then quickly change your thread by unthreading the needle instead of cutting it off.

I use Fireline for all my sewing. I use 14 pound (the diameter of 6 pound monofilament) on deer and medium sized game and 30 pound for bison, moose, and Africrap. I keep a spool of 10 pound for the small critters.

I like double threads and with deer, the 14 pound doubled is still a very VERY fine thread. I pull twice the length of my arm's length off the spool, double it, and tie a double overhand knot securing the ends. Then I pull the double thread through my fingers until it pinches at the opposite end. I stick that small loop through the eye of the needle far enough to slip over the needle tip and then pull it back to secure it. I will sew until I get to about4 inches of the end. At that point, I take another needle and lift the loop knot at the needle eye. Once it slips, I pull enough double thread through so that I can slip it back over the needle tip, and slip the needle off the line. Now I rethread my needle as before. I slip the pount through the first thread loop and then slip the needle tip through its tag ends. That forms another loop knot on the original thread and that knot easily slips through any sewing holes. I can make a continual seam forever without cutting or tying off.

With the single thread, I thread it the same way. Obviously the short end only protrudes the needle about 4-6 inches while the tag end goes arm length. The loop cinches down on the eye of the needle and prevents the thread from slipping through the eye.

[​IMG]

This is the thread before it's pulled into the eye of the needle

[​IMG]

This is how it looks after the threads are cinched.

2. BrookeSFD16

BrookeSFD16 Well-Known Member

Well I'll be....that is genius. George, you never cease to amaze.

3. My gf has insisted on showing me how to use a double threaded needle when i sew up birds but of course I refuse to let her because i know better. However, if this is what she's been wanting to show me...I might owe her an apology. thanks for the education George.

4. Naturalist

Naturalist Member

Thanks for the lesson George Roof! Tested on the skin of a bear and a duck - works great with Your method. Indeed, very convenient! :)

5. creepers

creepers natural history preparator

Cheers George, nice of you too share, the simplest things in life are often the best

6. my god that's awesome George!!!!!!

7. pir^2h

pir^2h Retrievers give you the bird

Learn something new every day! Thanks George!

8. Roger E

Roger E Member

MT
    Brilliant...thanks for sharing, George.

9. Excellent, thanks for sharing. I've always just used a single strand of bowstring, looped once through the needle. I've occasionally had problems with the thread breaking when pulling tight - I've always blamed the needle but now I can see that there's a better way! Going to give this, and the fireline, a go for sure.

10. TomR

TomR New Member

Thanks George! Will definitely use this from here on out.

11. blklab

blklab Member

Thanks, This is great,,,,, I threaded the needle this way , what a difference it made.... I sewed up a coyote , including the leafs with a whip stick using dental floss , and the seams are invisible...

12. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    George that is funny right there, I have been doing it that way for ever and never thought, for a second, that others weren't.