1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Largemouth blank needed, can't find the size

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by shawn9106, Jul 12, 2016.

1. shawn9106

shawn9106 New Member

I was lucky enough to catch a 9 pound largemouth back home over the weekend. Anyway I decided I was going to buy a nice blank this time, since I've only ever worked on cheap stuff. The bass was 26 inches long and had a 16/16.5 inch girth. I can't seem to find anything close to that. Does anyone know where to look??

2. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

Jut GOT to ask: Are you sure of those measurements: I don't think I've ever seen a 30 inch bass (or a 29 for that fact). Most of the biggest hawgs I've seen get to be 24-25. I know both Star*Fish and Lake Country have bass in the 9 pound category but the length just doesn't go that far. Many have as big a girth but there are shorter fish with 24 inch girth available.

3. Bev has a few close but your girth measurement seems very skinny for the length. MOst taxidermist will tell the customer I can find something close in that size but explain that not all fish have been molded.

http://bevsfishcreations.com/index.php/pricelist/

4. shawn9106

shawn9106 New Member

Yes I am correct, I measured it twice 26x16.5. I'll show a picture of it with me and I'm 6'5 250 pounds

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. jemmick

jemmick Active Member

WNY
    Just sayin kinda looks photo shoped to me /anyone else agree !!???

6. oldboar

oldboar Taxidermy...do the impossible:)

"Just sayin kinda looks photo shoped to me /anyone else agree !!???"

I think you're retarded...that fish looks exactly like a 25" Bass. skinny yes...I've done a number of them this size and girth here in AZ.

7. shawn9106

shawn9106 New Member

[​IMG]

Here's a 25 inch lm with a 19.5 inch girth. It went over 11 pounds. The other fish I caught over the weekend was a inch longer just 3 inches skinnier.

8. fishmaster

fishmaster Well-Known Member

New wave has a 25x17 that is a nice fish, plus mikes are florida strain with nice big heads. Bev has a 26x18. Those are two closest that I know about. That's the joy of catch and release. You get what you get.

9. I think your not telling the truth also,to prove me wrong let me know what lake your fishing and what your catching them on. ;D

10. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

Old Boar, I don't think it was PhotoShopped. I come from the south where largemouth are stocked in ponds. I've noticed a very strange phenomenon that MIGHT be the case with this fish. It seems that a bass's HEAD grows at a constant rate. Older bass have huge heads while the younger ones are smaller. However, in some bodies of water, the food source diminishes and the fish lives during lean times. Though its head grows, the body is stunted and you end up with fish like that one. Down south, we "draw" the pond about every 5-7 years. The water is drained and the fish are all taken out. Then the water level is raised and young fish are restocked. Many ponds not drawn for 10 -12 years end up with only a couple large bass and a zillion fry bluegills. Those fish look a lot like the one in the picture. From the size of that head, that fish should weigh 10-12 pounds.

11. https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10204695627789739&set=pb.1807616148.-2207520000.1468455442.&type=3&theater
    I did not mount this fish but recently replaced the fins and repainted it

12. Long skinny bass big head, yea just a southern pond bass.

13. shawn9106

shawn9106 New Member

It's fern lake in Middlesboro Kentucky that the fish i posted about come from. It's probably a couple miles longs, 20/30 foot deep at the deepest part of it but it's the only lake around that had lily pads and grass lol. Every once in a while someone will cAtch a big fish out of it, doesn't happen a lot but I say 8-10 big bass are caught out of it a year. That's anything 6 pounds or bigger. They use to stock it with Florida strain bass but I don't think they do anymore. It's where they get the drinking water for the town You have to pay for a membership to fish there too (girlfriends related so I kinda sneak in). But yea every big fish you tend to catch has a big head and smaller body, I always wondered why they were like that. I caught a 23 inch bass there a couple years ago that was only 5 pounds or so. I weighed that fish as soon as I caught it and my scale said 8.976 in tenths so right at 9 pounds for a 26 inch bass. That other big one I caught came from lake kississmee in Florida. It was very healthy.

14. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

I do a lot of bass from the north and the south. I see nothing unusual about your measurements for a southern bass -- especially a Florida strain bass. Not sure where you're at but Florida strain bass get longer than northern strain bass and they are slightly more fusiform than a northern bass. And they have been introduced from California across the southern U.S. to Florida. But I'm sure you know that. Kind of wonder how many fish some people actually mount here that are critical of your measurements.

Hope you find a blank. Have to tried all the sources? Starfish, Lake Country, New Wave, Josh Knuth, and others?

15. Flintlock

Flintlock New Member

Great fish for that part of eastern Ky. I was at Cumberland gap not long ago.

16. shawn9106

shawn9106 New Member

That lake runs right beside Cumberland gap! And yea I've checked starfish, arp, lake country, bevs, I can't find any blanks on josh Knuth or new wave website but I'm still looking haha

17. shawn9106

shawn9106 New Member

http://www.archiephillips.com/index.php?route=product/product&keyword=Largemouth%20Bass&product_id=1311

Archie Phillips has a 26x17. Which is the closest I've seen but how good are these blanks? All I've done is signature series blanks and I was trying to get away from them.

18. shawn9106

shawn9106 New Member

Anyone got any info on coast to coast mounts?? They have a wide selection of fish blanks as well

19. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

If you're a perfectionist I would stay away from his blanks although they can certainly be made to work.

Wow that's an awesome bass even for Kentucky. Is it an F1 hybrid by some chance?

20. shawn9106

shawn9106 New Member

[​IMG]

Here's a 5 pounder I caught a couple years ago, it's was 22.5 inches, with a 14 inch girth. They are just weird fish. Sometimes people catch a big healthy fish out of there but it's been 4 or 5 years. They could be that F1 hybrid because it's cold here in the winters. That lake freezes over every winter.