1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

What do you think?

Discussion in 'The Taxidermy Industry' started by Carolin Brak-Dolny, Jul 13, 2016.

1. michael p.

michael p. Getting better with age :)

I don't care who you are, that's funny right there!!!!! ;D ;D ;D

2. antlerman

antlerman NTA Life Member #0118

I witnessed and heard the comments that were bestowed upon a mount in Gatlinburg concerning a cougar mount done by Ashley Barrett, who was butchered at Gatlinburg after his judging assignment at the Worlds. Is that the kind of preconceived opinions you are referring to Carolyn?

3. Carolin Brak-Dolny

Carolin Brak-Dolny Active Member

That could be an example , But I would hardly call that butchering, when he received a Blue and National champion! Which he deserved!

4. antlerman

Well Thank God Jean Roll's integrity is what it is, is all I can say then, which takes us back to hiring judges whose integrity is above any preconceived opinions or judgements of individuals, or scores to settle.

5. Carolin Brak-Dolny

Jean is a class act. I will say about that experience is that it was sure eye opening. Some pro and some con. Jean and I have had many discussions about it.

6. jim tucker

jim tucker Active Member

I understand the need for the NTA to do this but I am really sorry to see this happen. The modern state of competitions has dictated it. I don't know if it is a good thing or not.

7. antlerman

Time will tell Jim. But using this year as an example, the NTA has not been in the Northeast in many years and it showed. There was over 80 entries in the Open Division that any number of could have won in the DOE but could not compete there as they were not eligible to compete there. As has been written by several, the level of competition was perhaps the best ever assembled at a National event. Next year we are headed to UTAH. You would have to turn back many calendar years to find when the last time the NTA was in the west. Presenting yet again another stacked Open division with few being able to compete in the DOE. That is just not the right direction in which we need to go. You can still earn your way there by winning a National Championship, or you will be able to place yourself there forgoing the old process of having to earn your way to the DOE level. I know old traditions are hard to break, but as with everything change is inevitable and necessary sometimes. This we feel is one of those times. This year there was only 6 North American Champions awarded, but many mounts that could have easily won that title had it been open for them to be able to compete there.

8. antlerman

We all live and learn, hone our skills and every experience is a mere stepping stone to the next level of our future.

9. catman

catman Active Member

Would it be acceptable for a piece that is at the world show, to compete just a couple months later at the NTA. I know to win a world title and then the Bruchac, has been done before. Does it matter less if you did not place high at the world show and then went to Nats? I only ask because I would consider competing in Salt Lake and doing fresh pieces for the DOE really would not appeal to me. I still have to work some you know.

10. Richard C

Richard C Well-Known Member

Taxiserv / Jim
    Joe was the first to label those new pedestal mounts at the time as , "toilet seat mounts " .
    Jim
    I'm writing this in my " Los Cazadores " camo cap . I think of your pedestal deer every time I put the cap on .

11. Carolin Brak-Dolny

In the past the NTA was the top show to attend. It has been surpassed by even some state shows. People mount up new mounts for the world show, and then take them to the NTA for a consolation prize. If you do not make the NTA prize ( meaning the status, not the many many trophies) worth winning then this will continue every second year. You will just be seeing the same old mounts. I guess if that is what you want .....

12. antlerman

Each competition, every association, stands alone. I do not agree that the NTA is a consolation prize to the World's, no more than I think that winning a Best of Show in the smallest state show in America is any less than winning at the largest state show. Or that a WASCO won in Delaware is any less than a WASCO won in Texas. I've been to many shows, state and nationals where a single blue ribbon was not awarded in a catagory. The World's is a unique experience to be held in high esteem and prestige, but so is a North American Championship title. You will only ever win one in any given category. That alone makes it pretty damn prestigious in my opinion. The value of it is in where you place it's importance.

13. Scott Humble

Scott Humble New Member

The NTA convention is coming out west to Utah in 2017, Wow !!! , I never thought I would live to see the day that would happen. Next year is shaping up to be a busy one. There are a lot of shows next year that I would like to go to.

Back to the original subject, I think many of us are over thinking this competition thing way too much. Most states competition rules prohibit entries that have previously been entered in their own competition. I agree with that one. But beyond that anything should be allowed. If someone from another state wants to come to our state show with mounts that are 2-3 or 10 years old I say go for it. It is always good to see the best work that other taxidermists can do. If I can be inspired by a mount someone did years ago that is great. If I have a chance to compete against them that is even better. The only problem is you don't always know what year they might show up. To prohibit mounts that have been entered in other shows whether they won or not is discriminatory and demonstrates a lack of faith in the integrity of the judges we hire.

14. Carolin Brak-Dolny

Yes I do think we have lack of confidence in the judges we hire. If we had no problem we would put our names on our mounts before the judges started judging. The judges we hire are our peers, so on the same level as us, in direct competition with us.

Personally I have determined that I will not make a good judge until I stop competing. I am just way to competitive. ( ha ha ....I can see you all agreeing with me.)

I feel the best judges are the ones removed a bit from the competitors. Like past best in the worlds, those running schools, ones who have stopped competing because they have nothing more to prove and ones not connected with a supply company. They should be retired from competing for about 3 years before they judge, so there is no remaining bad feelings toward any competitor or favoritism.

I bet some of the best judges would be from over seas. They probably would not know who any of us are or what style our mounts are.

15. michael p.

michael p. Getting better with age :)

It sounds like you are judging and trying to base others qualifications on your own character flaws. It does not increase ones integrity if they have not competed for 3 years....... actually re-read what you typed, it makes no sense.

16. antlerman

Carolin, It is nothing personal at all, but I have to agree with your self analysis, and waiting until your competition days are over. You are extremely competitive still and I don't think you are capable yet of separating the two arena's yet.. Someday I think you'll make a good judge and Lord knows our pool of good mammal judges is pretty small. Finish your competition career and someday, if I'm still here doing my current job, we'll talk about that judging gig for sure. In the meantime, if you're interested in coming to Utah as a competitor, I'd be interested in talking to you about teaching a seminar.

Secondly, I do think you are somewhat misguided on this "judges knowing your style, and etc." I'm not gonna say that it doesn't happen, because I'm sure somewhere in time it has happened, but those who live (judge) by those standards are not judges for long. Word gets around and their phones stop ringing. I've seen it happen a few times, so I know that a judge's integrity is scrutinized pretty hard. Have a little faith in the process and things have a way of working out. Remember, the cream always rises to the top.

17. Cole

Cole Amateur Taxidermist

I like being judged by someone who is actively competing. I personally feel they are more connected to the competition scene if you will, and are up to date on any new methods, etc. I think it's important to keep your finger on the pulse of taxidermy competitions in general to be a good judge. Waiting 3 years before being allowed to judge is ridiculous in my opinion.

18. Amy

Amy Mammal artist

I think a grudge could last way beyond 3 years... A judge must have ethics. And if they don't, word will get around

19. TIMBUCK

TIMBUCK Active Member

Any and all judges should have reference on hand while critiquing and all competitors should provide reference with their piece. Entries should be judged STRICTLY from reference. Nothing else. It would eliminate some hassles and "opinions".
    The off the cuff judging and judging a piece because it's "cool looking" is where I've seen things get a little tricky.

20. antlerman

I don't have any information to support or discredit your claim, but I do know this. The folks at Big Rocks are trying to become players in the taxidermy arena. They have a strong financial base and have contributed greatly to the World Show and The NTA all the while also trying to get their own taxidermy show off the ground. Mind you that they already have a large show going on with the sports show and because some of their stock holders also love taxidermy they are in support of taxidermy competitions. I don't see it as a bad thing. It's rather refreshing to have someone come along that actually gives a crap about our industry and wants to get involved and support it the way they have. If they feel that helping some of our Rock Stars get to their show is good for promoting their show then that is their business I would say. Remember, it was not that long ago that the NTA had the likes of one of the Mandrell Sisters as it's Rock Star to promote it's competition, so having one of our own as a Rock Star seems plausible.