1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Hiding stitching

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by Ncole, Jul 13, 2016.

1. Ncole

Ncole New Member

I'm getting ready to mount an early season archery deer and was just wondering if anyone had any tips on keeping the short hair from wanting to stand up were I sew up the back. I don't know if there is a certain stitch that works best or any other tips. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

2. D.Price

D.Price Well-Known Member

Whip stitch will be best......and sew it up inside out ( from the leather side)before you mount it. It would be like mounting a short incision cape.

DP

3. Ncole

Ncole New Member

Thank you for the reply I appreciate it.

4. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

You're still likely to have a seam that shows. I do what D.Price said, but near the "Y", you're out of luck. I make 4 inch pins with about a quart inch bent over in an "L". I drive these down through the seam into the form to form a shallows channel. I then fill the channel with Apoxie sculpt (a VERY THIN layer). I drag a wire brush over that seam downward. and let it cure for a few hours. I paint a thin coat of clear acrylic caulk down the repair. From the back of the form or from hide left over, I shave small swatches of hair and lay in the seam going from the bottom to the head in overlapping rows. Once they're set in the caulk, I take a long piece of toilet paper and hold it between my hands. I drag the paper down the seam allowing the weight of the paper ONLY to align all that hair that I put in. Next morning I blow out any hair that didn't get locked in and then airbrush the repair.

5. Agree on the whip stitch. Keep them close together. Make sure you have hide paste under the seam. After sewing go over the seam with your modeling tool and tuck any puckers from the stitches. That will help keep the hair flat. Then you can use a hair gel to hold it down. Some guys use a smear of clay. Either works. When the mount is dry brush out the gel or clay.

6. Ncole

Ncole New Member

Awesome thanks guys. I just need to look up whip stitch and see how to do it.

7. Tannertroop

Tannertroop Member

I like to card the stitch, it will help with any pulling and train the hair to lay down that is giving you problems.

8. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

Guys, we're talking about late summer deer here. In South Carolina when you get an August 15 velvet buck, hair is a commodity we ain't talking about. Those deer have paint jobs, not hair. No carding, tucking, or beating on a seam is going to hide that. Even a whip stitch is going to look like a spiral notebook on those guys.

9. Didn't see any mention of where this was. Early season deer in MN is mid Sept. 1/4 inch hair.

10. Ncole

Ncole New Member

This is a mid/late August Colorado mule deer.

11. BEAVERS

BEAVERS New Member

Jimbogonzo likes this.
  12. Duckslayr

Duckslayr Active Member

I use the whip stitch to pre-sow inside out, then use the upholstery stitch on the short v. Clay over that when done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13. I have always had a problem with seeing my stitch on short haired capes until I started going to the MWTO seminars and Alan showed me to do a whip stich. It is awesome!