1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Here's what I think !!! Ribbon Chasers

Discussion in 'The Taxidermy Industry' started by Tims, Jul 15, 2016.

1. Cole

Cole Amateur Taxidermist

That is your issue, not the issue. It isn't an issue at most shows, because it is well within the rules. Everyone gets to play by the same rules, which means it is completely fair. Whatever problem you have with it is your problem. Urge your state to change the rule, convince them that prohibiting mounts from being entered that have already been judged is the best and most fair way to run a competition...then sit back and watch your association DIE. You won't hear whining and bitching...I can promise you that, because the people you think will be bitching about it won't be there. They will be at home, tweaking their competition piece for the next GOOD show they attend.

This whole thing stems from one simple emotion. Amy touched on it but she didn't come right out and give the reason. A colleague and I had this discussion earlier and I couldn't agree with him more. The one reason and one reason only guys want to limit the quality in a show is jealousy. You won't admit that, and I don't expect you to, but it's clear to most of us that is the issue. That brings me back to my original post, if you are jealous of someone and their abilities as an artist...QUIT, or GET BETTER. (Unfortunately I'm left with option 3. I won't quit, and I probably won't get better, so I have just learned to deal with it.)

2. TIMBUCK

TIMBUCK Active Member

Wrong again.....

Jealousy has nothing to do with it. That I promise you..
    It's a right and wrong issue with myself and other taxidermists that I know.
    Just because it's legal doesn't always make it right either. Surely, this day and age, you understand that..

The way I see it is like me being in a checker game. I get my checkers in almost the right spot and in comes an expert checker player telling me every move to make to win the championship.. I'm moving the checkers but someone else is making the call..

Get in it to win it ON YOUR own. Pretty simple actually.

3. Cole

Cole Amateur Taxidermist

Well I suppose if rebuilding a throat latch on a peacock bass is the equivalent of sliding a checker 1", then you got me.

4. Tims

Tims B&C Moose Daughter shot at age 10

There just needs to be a new Catagory for prejudged pieces its that simple you still get your Critque and your own ribbon and trophies. If you earned a few extra points from advice at a prior show don't you think all pieces that haven't been judged should be allowed to do some tweaking after their critque ? To up their score as well. Not everyone has the luxury to attend shows. Tweak for tweak. If this was such a stupid post it sure is getting a lot of responses. I wonder why? I have received to many PM's to count in support of this. The vast majority doesn't want to get S--t on for their opinions.

5. Tims

Cole
    cheat
    CHēt/Submit
    verb
    gerund or present participle: cheating
    act dishonestly or unfairly in order to gain an advantage, especially in a game or examination.

The act of fixing a piece after a show before the next should moral qualify. Unless you only compete with other prejudged pieces. I under stand it may fall in the show rules, but why? Common sense plays a role in this. Most people will never call themselves a cheat there lies the problem!

6. Cole

Cole Amateur Taxidermist

Why can't you get it through your skull, it is only acting unfairly to gain an advantage if the other competitors aren't allowed to do the same. Everyone plays by the same rules, fair for everyone. Like I said, change the rules, then let us know how that worked out.

7. Tims

Cole I do see what you are saying. Our rules will change.

8. Cole

Cole Amateur Taxidermist

That's unfortunate, I was hoping to attend your show someday.

9. Nancy C

Nancy C Well-Known Member

I don't see why you want to limit a competitor's means to learn about their subject by learning from their mistakes, Tims.

Why should they be penalized for learning how to do something better and then trying to do it? Why do you want to prevent them from finding out whether or not they have been successful? How is talking to an expert any different from watching a video? Should one or the other be forbidden?

As far as I'm concerned, that's crazy talk! If I want to learn how to do something better then I will seek out the most accurate forms of reference that I can find. I will be online, at the zoo, at the library - you name it. On top of that, I will talk to the most knowledgeable, experienced and skilled people that I can find, and if they happen to be judges at a competition, so be it! They can tell me what they see that might be improved, and IF I agree with them then I might try to change it, but here's the deal: NOBODY touches any of my mounts except me! Because THAT would be cheating!

Trying to do the very best you can and playing by the rules is perfectly fair. Using what you learn to try to improve your work is also fair, no matter the source of the learning, and taking your improved (you hope) work before more experts to find out if you succeeded is just as fair as entering it in the first place.

You are trying to prevent people from learning from the leaders in their field and then applying that knowledge.
    If you make that part of the rules at your competition then I think you will have a pretty lame show.

10. Jerry Huffaker

Jerry Huffaker Well-Known Member

Tims,
    Will the entries in the pre-judged division be eligible for all the major awards? Breakthrough, WASCO, peoples choice etc.

11. ryan rhodes

ryan rhodes Well-Known Member

Jerry, I was wondering the same thing!!!!

12. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

Tims I think you're whacked out. I'm with Michael. Cole was right about the jealousy. Using your logic, you should sew your mount up and enter it. After all, if you see things that you did wrong when you mounted it, it would be cheating if you corrected it before you enter it. Jealousy, pure and simple. You want "rules" so that only you are eligible.

13. michael p.

michael p. Getting better with age :)

It's nothing but jealousy and envy. "He gets to go to more shows than I do, that's not fair". "Somebody told him he got s boo-boo and fixed iit. That's not right because I couldn't leave my full time job and do the same". "It's not right, he does taxidermy full time and can pick his shows while I have to work"

What's not mentioned is how there is zero consistency in judging. You can go to one state and get a 90 and be lucky to score in the low 80's say in Texas, Pennsylvania, Michigan or Ohio due to the strength of the majority of mounts.

Tims, why would you intentionally hurt your association???!

14. Tims

Why is it most of you don't seem to understand simple logic? No ones learning is being taken away. You just get put in another catagory and still get your ribbons and trophies. Why is this so hard to understand. Jealousy term is a joke I for one could care less if I never got a ribbon. I have more work then I need and do work for many other taxidermist.
    George if a judge points out flaws and tells you how to fix them. This concept couldn't be simpler. It just goes to show how many people take their moral's and throw them out the window.
    One more analogy . So if you have a fling with someone else to improve your $ex life is this cheating on your partner? Let's get real people.

15. Jerry Huffaker

Will they be eligible for the major awards?

16. Tri-State

Tri-State Member

My marriage is a covenant between me, a lady, and the Lord. I knew the rules going into it and none of the three parties worry about what's fair like some little kid. Don't cheapen something sacred for the benefit of your childish argument.

17. Tims

Jerry Of course
    Tri If so childish why is it still going on and not ignored?

18. Jerry Huffaker

If they are still able to win the major awards then why have a special category? Just trying to figure out how this is going to work. If they are eligible to win the Major awards then all the other mounts are still competing with pre judged mounts. I don't see how the pre judged division changes anything.

19. ryan rhodes

ryan rhodes Well-Known Member

Ding ding ding ding ding!!!!! We have a winner! Exactly jerry!!! What's the damned point in a pre-judged category if the pre-judged pieces are still eligible for major awards, which they should be!
    If I want a better sex life, I just practice with my wife and ask for a critique, then happily give it another college try... Are you kidding us with this $hit????

20. michael p.

michael p. Getting better with age :)

That's exactly what I was thinking!! Eligible for the same major awards, but put them in different category........ just what you need at a taxidermy show, more paperwork, confusion and more work for the judges.

You're a great dude Tims, but you are starting a fire when there not need be one and it's gonna take a tanker not an extinguisher to put it out the first flare up. Good luck, you'll need it with that plan.