1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Here's what I think !!! Ribbon Chasers

Discussion in 'The Taxidermy Industry' started by Tims, Jul 15, 2016.

1. antlerman

antlerman NTA Life Member #0118

Tims, for what it's worth, you may want to speak with someone from the Connecticut Association before implementing this change. They did that for a while and the results were not favorable. But don't take my word for it. Contact someone there who can directly advise you.

2. ryan rhodes

ryan rhodes Active Member

Antlerman, I've been competing at the New England show, formerly Connecticut, since 2004. If they implemented this rule, it was prior to that. And I've not heard anything about it.

3. Cole

Cole Amateur Taxidermist

Our state has 14 categories and 2 divisions. (not counting the amateur division) that's 28 awards (30 once you add the amateur division) at over $20/each. $600 Adding a "pre-judged" division would cost us an additional $600, and add nothing to the quality of the show. I suppose that would be 30 more happy taxidermists walking out with a fancy award though...too bad it means half as much as it used to.

4. Tims

Tims B&C Moose Daughter shot at age 10

Thank you all! I started this topic to get thoughts and ideas. Many good ones brought up. It was a touchy subject to bring up when most of us are very passionate and more critical of our own work.

5. rbear

rbear Well-Known Member

My preference would be there are one set of rule for any sanctioned Association. I don't care about the tweaking or reshowing as much as I do about the difference in the playing fields between the shows. The world has become to small of place to have every Association having different rules.
    Now in an industry ours how would one go about getting over 50 groups of people to agree on one set of rules? This would be a far better thing to debate.
    Ralph

6. Jerry Huffaker

Jerry Huffaker Well-Known Member

rbear,
    Ha Ha, lets go herd a bunch of cats for practice. LOL

Seriously it may sound good by that will never happen , too many different ideas and too many personalities. I like the way it works now, just read the rules of each association before you go and enjoy the show. If you don't like how they do things then go fishing instead and don't worry about it.

If the truth be known I doubt if very many people go to more than 2 maybe three shows in a year anyway and they are mostly states bordering theirs. there will never be cookie cutter , standard judging it's impossible to have a standard there are too many variables and opinions. These same arguments were being made in the 70's.

How about instead of debating so much about comps and blue ribbons we try to figure out how to have more and better seminars and help more people advance to the masters division.

7. Cole

Cole Amateur Taxidermist

The rules from state to state aren't that different. There are some things that are different...yes, but the premise is the same. You are right about getting a bunch of associations to agree on one set of rules, but I don't see that as a bad thing. The way it is now you can pick and choose which show you'd like to attend.

8. bowelk

bowelk Member

Kerby, you wouldn't have any of that chili left over by chance? Been busting my butt all day and missed lunch ;)

9. I was on the board for close to 15 years, we have never had a rule like this in my time.

10. AFTHUNT

AFTHUNT Active Member

OK Tims so all race car drivers and Olympic athletes are all cheaters and ribbon chasers, they all get ribbons with 1 - 3 placement than go home and work on things to get better to get 1 place ribbons all they do is modify their bodies or cars to win the big races. So they should change all rules and athletes run only 1 race and race car drivers can only use their car once . ::) :eek: Not making any sense to me sorry. ???

11. Cole

Cole Amateur Taxidermist

All of these bad analogies are making me dizzy.

12. Harry Whitehead

Harry Whitehead I love to hunt Buffalos!!!!!

Sorry people but this is the stupidest thread I believe I have ever witnessed on taxinet.....and I've seen some stupid ones!!! ::)

Tims, your logic is numbing.

13. antlerman

antlerman NTA Life Member #0118

Then I stand corrected. I know someone tried this before and it didn't work out too well. Thought it was Conn. but I guess not. Sorry.